Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

OnXmap data in Google earth?

fullhouse271

Was wondering if there is a way to view OnXmap chip data in google earth? I have the MT chip for my garmin. Trying to do some e-scouting for my trip in Nov. and I've found some good looking areas. They are close to private but I just cant tell for sure. Any ideas would be helpful.

Find somebody with the now discontinued Plat4GE product or you can use the web based product they migrated too. I prefer the former product by a large margin and use it every day. The web based product should get you the same info.

Last edited:
They used to have it and then discontinued it. I wish they still did as it was my happy place for home scouting

These guys are correct about the Earth overlay product being discontinued from ONXMAPS. I have been using there Basemap product for Garmin. I normally have both screens of EARTH and BASEMAPS up at the same time. I would find my general public land I'm hunting and search EARTH for landscapes within that area I would like to hunt. From there I would make way points on EARTH then insert coordinates to BASEMAPS then upload that onto my Garmin handheld.

ONXMAPS does have a viewer where it contains satelite basemaps along with a variety of topos. They also have an phone app you can download. However, it is currently running as a BETA verison. It has horrible server issues right now. Nothing loads properly and there are just alot of kinks that need to be worked out. Once they figure it out its going to be a game changer and completely user friendly.

Last edited:
I'm pretty "old school", probably because I'm old. I have a 6 year old basic cell phone, as I live in an area that has spotty phone service, among other reasons. So, I got a free download of OnXmaps, but when I tried to work with it, I couldn't. I was told it was mostly designed for a smartphone APP, which of course I don't have. With some tech assistance, I finally could download it on to my laptop.
From there however, I can't seem to figure out how to use it in any meaningful way? I was hoping to use it in my Garmin Basecamp program, and then transfer it on to my Garmin 62sc model GPS. However, I'm at a loss for what to do? They can be the greatest mapping program in the world, but if you can't use it, it's not much good to me.

Thanks for the input guys. I have been using basecamp from garmin and then viewing google earth from the view tab. It works ok. I will have to check out the OnX site once they get the servers upgraded.

I have the app and I like it. It is a little slow at times but seems to work most the time for me. I actually have problems with it on a PC (Windows 7). It just stops
panning around. But on the phone it has been fine. I am still on the trial but I will be buying the paid version. It probably ran out today actually. The imagery seems
to have a shaded layer over it that appears after a couple seconds but maybe that is because it is the trial version.

Anyway, I like it and it is highly detailed with trails and FS roads plus the status of those roads (open, closed, etc...).

Good to know they are working out some bugs. I am an IT guy so I know how it goes. But it is handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back