Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

One Piece of Advice

I don't pass on game anymore except in my job, I can get two weeks off at a time so I take two week hunting trips. I scout a lot the first week but in that second week, I will take anything that is legal and about 2-3 years old at least. I am a meat hunter primarily and while I will celebrate a trophy if I get one, my primary goal is always to put some meat in the freezer.

What they said. Get to your hunting area way before light and don't start the trek back to camp until dark. Especially with archery, play the wind.

Embrace the suck.

Have fun. Laugh a lot. Mostly at yourself.

Remember to enjoy the journey. Don’t get so lost in getting an elk that you fail to recognize all the beauty around you. Learning to elk hunt is a marathon. You might have success early but the real joy is sitting back remembering the adventure. JMO.

Spending time in the woods is more important than the newest trendy gear. Camping, hiking, turkey and small game season, whatever it takes. Spend more time and more nights outdoors.

Hunt where there are a lot more elk than there are active hunters. Seriously, can't find an elk if aren't there and if are a lot of hunters then the elk will be chased to heck and back so are not going to be acting much like elk. If you are told things like let the other hunters push the elk to you then will not learn much about elk other than how far to lead a running elk that has its tongue hanging out.

Don't wait until you draw a good tag to hunt elk and expect to be successful because it took X number of years to get the tag. Hunt every year if possible and as many days as possible. If you can learn to be successful on OTC public lands when you finally draw that limited entry tag you will be successful and probably have a more realistic expectations for the hunt.

E-scout and find areas with good food, water, and cover and you will typically find elk. Enjoy it. We are in a great age of elk hunting right now.

Get comfortable with walking in the dark. I know lots of guys that leave camp to late and get back to early because they don’t want to be caught in the dark. Missing a lot of prime time doing it
How do you manage this in bear country? Serious question

Great question and I would like some ideas myself. I may be hunting bear country this year also. Since returning to big game hunting, I've been in mostly mountain lion country. I was stalked once that I know of. A trail camera recorded it. Nothing happened, but it's on my mind coming out at night. Not so much in the morning though. Probably because I'm not fully awake yet...regardless, the best time is at daybreak and just before dark. Live with the possibility, I guess...dunno.

One foot in front of the other. Seriously though it’s just something you deal with. There isn’t a bear behind every tree although any stick break in the dark seems like it. Some people can overcome the fear of it and some can’t. Just always stay alert

One foot in front of the other. Seriously though it’s just something you deal with. There isn’t a bear behind every tree although any stick break in the dark seems like it. Some people can overcome the fear of it and some can’t. Just always stay alert
I’m not scared of it. I’m just concerned of walking into a bear and startling it because it doesn’t know that I’m there.

I’m not scared of it. I’m just concerned of walking into a bear and startling it because it doesn’t know that I’m there.
That’s a risk we take in the daylight too though. Just have to weigh the the risks and decide if it’s for you or not

Back