One or two crossing a road near Cody

Looks like last January. I believe right now they have very little snow. It is a great thing for herd recovery!

Buzz is right. I hunted down by Encampment this fall and there were very few lopes around. It was pretty darn sad.

@BuzzH were the antelope hit as hard in the Bighorn basin and NE as they were in the SW corner. Know it was a hard winter last year for them, hopefully this winter stays mild and doesn't come one with a vengeance in Feb/Mar.

I know you are asking Buzz but i traveled through that part of WY this fall and the herds were almost none existent compared to past trips. Ma nature was a bitch to the animals in 2023.

@BuzzH were the antelope hit as hard in the Bighorn basin and NE as they were in the SW corner. Know it was a hard winter last year for them, hopefully this winter stays mild and doesn't come one with a vengeance in Feb/Mar.
I think pretty much statewide, but some areas less than others. In general, I would say pronghorn across the board are 50% of what they were when I moved here in 2000. Some areas slightly better, some a whole lot worse.

I hunted antelope in central Wyoming in the fall of 2019 and then again in 2022. The difference was shocking. Fingers crossed that WGF can summon the will to put the resource first.

I think pretty much statewide, but some areas less than others. In general, I would say pronghorn across the board are 50% of what they were when I moved here in 2000. Some areas slightly better, some a whole lot worse.
I’ve said it a lot last year but driving through the desert to Baggs was cryptic. Looked like a nuclear bomb went off, dead animals every 1000 yards off the highway.

I was really surprised by lack an Antelope I saw this December when I came out to run cats. Passing though areas in two units in the places I would normally see a fair to great amount during the same time of the in previous years, I bet I was seeing 20% of what I normally did. Hopefully they give them a break for three or fours years for a good rebound.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back