PEAX Equipment

One bird blues

Walt lister

Finally cooled down into the high 70s here so spent a couple of hours looking for gambels.

This far from the car and no hole in the fence, guess I'll have to crawl under. Too fat to climb over.
8-27quail018.jpg

No fruit on the prickly pear, there should be some this time of the year. Bad sign.

8-27quail002.jpg

Saw a quail run over this rise and when I topped it a decent covey flushed out of the brush about 20 yards in front of me. Had a chance at a double but only downed the first bird I shot at.
8-27quail009.jpg

Maybe I can use my shadow to scare a bird out of the brush. Sometimes this works but not today.
8-27quail017.jpg

The birds had scattered in all directions and when they do that i can usually put up a few singles. I worked the area for quite a while but only had a couple flush near enough to get a long shot off and didn't connect. They may have flown down into the real thick brush at the bottom but that is almost impossible to hunt without a dog.
8-27quail005.jpg

Thought maybe a few ended up in the crucifixion thorn trees but no luck.
8-27quail010.jpg

In cow country, cow trails this prominent will almost always lead to water.
8-27quail013.jpg

Yep, there in the distance are the tanks and the cows.
8-27quail015.jpg

Obligatory dead bird pic. Young hen.
8-27quail020.jpg

Supposed to heat up to near 90* again this week so I'll wait 'till it cools off again to give it another try.

Snakes are always a possibility here. I wear snakeproof chaps. Even in winter if it warms up you can find them out sunning themselves.

The gun is a 20ga model 1912 made in 1918. Uses 2 1/2" ammo.

Back