Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Once In A While....

Trigger50

Once in a while you stumble into a wonderful situation! I'd just like to say that I'm happy there r still some great people out there! After yrs of trying to line up a good DIY elk hunt, I gave in & booked a guided CO elk hunt. I have several pts & can draw a good unit. This last summer, my guide called me to break the bad news that the draw odds crept up alot & it was unlikely I would draw the tag for a couple more yrs. :( What happened next blew me away! My guide says to me, "why dont you just come hunting w me in my personal hunting grounds. DIY, us two." Wow ! :) I basically get a guided hunt at the cost of DIY, in an area he has hunted his whole life! It's gonna be a fun yr of planing & anticipation. I just wanted to share my excitment. I really look forward to learning alot from my new friend.

So are you saying you will be going on an OTC counter tag where you don't need your PPs and not where you had intended to go originally to burn your PPs?

Trigger, sounds like you got yourself a great situation. May I point out the obvious that I'm sure you already know. He's not your guide on this hunt, he's your partner and you'll want to make sure he's having a good hunt too.
Good luck, this could turn out to be a very good thing for both of you.

My new friend Todd, has lived in CO his whole life, but recently moved to MN not far from me. He still guides back in CO. So we can share gas from MN too! At the price of DIY, its taken alot of pressure off me & the hunt. We'll make sure it's a good time for both of us. I can hold me own on a backpack western trip, I have western hunted 9 times & packed back into the BWCA. And he has 15 yrs on me, so maybe I'm gonna be his sherpa ! :)

That really sounds like a chance of a lifetime! Just take this for what its worth....I also was the nice guy and invited a guy from back east to come out and hunt with me. I needed a partner and so did he. Anyway, i showed him all around and we hunted together for five years. After he got his elk he started bosting how great he was and how I was "slowing" him down (on other sites). I let it slide until he invited his friends to my camp to use my equipment and to be their "guide". I told him to pound sand and not to come back.

Guess my point is don't bite the hand that feeds you and always be respectful, you are the guest. I am sure you know this, but I have learned my lessons on having guys I don't know come out and share a camp. I would hate to act like my old partner did!

Enjoy the hunt and I can't wait to see the pics. I really enjoy the fellas that I get to hunt with these days. When the stars line up sometimes everything works out great!

I have similiar stories myself. Now that I am older & wiser...I am very cautious @ whom I take to my favorite fishing/hunting spots. I've had so-called friends give away my personal spots.
I tried very hard for 3 yrs & successfully gained access to a great ranch in WY for deer/antelope. I'm allowed to only bring 1 friend & my wife. No trepass or kill fee, totally free. Plus he puts us up in his RV w full utilities. One yr my friend went behind my back & asked the rancher if HE could bring his friends !!! Needless to say we r just real casual friends now.
I am very optimistic @ my new elk hunting friend. Even when I was planning the outfitted hunt, he offered to ride together from MN & compensate me for helping him set-up & take down camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back