Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Oldest hunting clothing you still wear?

Thought this might be fun? When I was 20 I spent a bunch of money on a Sleeping Indian pull over wool coat. That was 17 years ago and I still wear it every year. I will say it's getting a little smaller, but I sure do love that thing. Anyone else have a favorite piece of clothing?

i have a browning coat and bib set for very cold conditions that I really like to wear coyote hunting, but if I have to walk in them any amount, I would die. 25 years old and they still keep me warm

I still have the original TreeBark camo pants my mom bought for me when I was 13. You know parents' logic, buy clothing big for teens so they don't outgrow them in a year or two. Turns out that logic allowed me to slip into those pants again a few years ago when I was back home chasing spring turkey. 20+ years later and my pants still fit - what a rarity! :)

I have a red Woolrich shirt that I've had for about 20 years now. At the time, that and my military surplus wool pants were quite a step up in my hunting attire in terms of comfort and functionality.

It's pretty threadbare on the arms now, and is more a fishing shirt than anything.

I have a Day One fleece pull over that I bought when I was 16 or 17. My first "camo" clothing. It has been in on dozens of hunts and kills over the years. I still wear it occasionally some 20 years later. Its not very warm so it doesn't get a ride very often here. I do love it for bow hunting, or hunting when I have calls around my neck. It has a open panel that you can put the calls behind and keep them from flapping. Genius design, and one that I've not seen on any other coat before or since.

Attachments

• 2013-01-12_11-04-31_895.jpg
    2013-01-12_11-04-31_895.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 691
No clothes older than about 5 years. My oldest hunting item is an old 'COAST' brand pocket knife my grandpa gave me when I was 10 in 1976. I carry it in my pocket on 95% of my hunts. I do not think I have ever used it beyond the week it was given me.

I have a Cabelas brand camo hat (baseball cap style) that has got to be at least 25 years old. I don't wear it too often because it's insulated and is usually too warm, but I wear it at least a couple days every hunting season. The way you can tell it's age is by the "made in USA" on the tag inside!

I am running some army surplus wool pants from 1951. They are by far my favorite wool hunting pants. I also have a really nice woolrich jacket from the mid 50's that is in excellent condition that I wear for a few special deer hunts every year.

I have a pair of used military surplus old fashioned woodland camo pants that I bought in the late 70's that I still use. I've lost track of how many deer livers and hearts i've packed out in those huge leg pockets.

Wow, where do I begin? There's a Gander Mountain blaze/camo parka, a long sleeve treebark tee, and a blaze ball cap that I've had since before my son was born in '93, digital night coveralls, some Goretex gear, and boots from Desert Storm. Then there's the artic survival stuff from training that's at least 30 yrs old. But, I guess the oldest is the my field jacket from my 1st hitch, that would make it ....uhhhhh.....let's say 40. And some of it looks almost new, even though it gets worn just about every season. Just took good care of it.

I have a red Chamois shirt that I have worn for Firearm or black powder hunting going on over 30 years. Other then that I have a set of Browning Jacket and Bibs in ShadowGrass - the original shadowgrass, for over 25 years. The rest of my gear is very current. Wait, does a Coyote I shot 30 years ago and had it tanned but made it into a mountain man 4 years ago count as 4 years or 30?

I bought this North Face Brooks Range Parka back in the late 70's when I was a teenager weighing about 125 lbs. I bought it in size LARGE knowing that I would grow into it, though at that time I was swimming in it.

Attachments

• NZ 2011 040.jpg
    NZ 2011 040.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_3349-25%.jpg
    IMG_3349-25%.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 643
I also have and use a Columbia brand Gore-Tex waterfowler's rain jacket that I bought in the late 70's found a pic from 1988 but nothing recent because it doesn't rain where I live now.

Attachments

• Overdue Goose Hunt 001.jpg
    Overdue Goose Hunt 001.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Conk's Camo Sage shirt and pants. Yep Cotton, perfect for July blacktails and March gobblers.

PHTO0006_edited-1.jpg

Also still have a pair of Swedish army pants I got in the 90's in Idaho.

I don't think I've bought hunting clothes going on almost a decade...

My oldest that I wear some are an insulated bib/coat set my Dad bought for me in '93. I have a few pieces from my dad that I wear occasionally that he had from probably the late 80's. Non camo, I have and use the cotton duck rabbit coat my dad bought for himself shortly after high school in 1968. Lots of rabbits got hauled in that thing as him and Grandpa Joe always had some pretty darn good beagles.

A Woolrich coat my uncle left me in 76',using it tomorrow.
A Gander Mtn Waterfowlers Parka that is from 80',still bulletproof go to worst condition parka.
A Frostline kit down parka I made in 72' It is still too warm till it gets in zero range,works great under WF parka.
I have a pair of wool pants my dad gave me, Eddie Bauer sweater too.....I'm 60,their old......

I've got a Filson jacket and shirt from the mid 90's and a couple wool shirts that my dad gave me that had to be mid 80's vintage that I still use from time to time.

Like they say on the tags - might as well have the best

Now if we were talking about guns...

Woolrich is built to last. I have a buffalo plaid shirt that I wear every November and a pair of Woolrich pants that are 20+ years old. The pants are threadbare in places but the shirt is still good. I have a pair of White's Smokejumper boots that are over 15 years. I don't wear them a lot, but they fit wonderfully well and serve well when conditions warrant them. My F-150 is 1994.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back