Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Old dog ramp or steps?

hank4elk

Waiting for a spot to open and move the truck so Rio has an easier time getting in. A curb.
Looking at ramps or steps to help an old guy out. Rio and me.
Thoughts?
I tried my 2 5ft truck ramps , Rio did not approve.

We used steps but I ended up having to help with the back legs at times. Are the ramps too steep maybe? Our dog had arthritis. Somedays no problem, other days just too hard.

We used steps but I ended up having to help with the back legs at times. Are the ramps too steep maybe? Our dog had arthritis. Somedays no problem,e other days just too hard.
Rio is an outside dog and does not like smooth surfaces, like flooring. Seems like the ramps have minimal texture for grip.
Saw a Weatherguard ad for ramps with a step in middle. Open plastic web like milk crates.

Off on a tangent here as this topic hits home with my buddy "Scout", my backcountry wilderness partner.

He's done his time, has arthritic rear joints, to the point we have something similar to @kansasdad for our house steps and carpet runners throughout.

Wife's not ecstatic about the runners though unfortunately his time is limited @ 14y/o so we're doing all, within reason. His rear legs are beginning to slide out on our hardwood flooring.

IMG_20230912_095050954.jpg

IMG_20230912_095242532_HDR.jpg

Outside from the deck we re-built w/ 2x12 steps. It eases his steps up/down. Also, for snow, we placed rubber matting.
The 12" steps really improved his ability to route himself whereas our interior steps, he's extremely cautious.

IMG_20230912_095200496_HDR.jpg

We have the Pet Safe XL ramp above for my truck ('22 Ram Laramie). I can make it work for the rear side door at an angle though my rear door is pretty wide. The ramp is roughly 20" wide.
It has great grip and he does ok though always along the side walking him up the ramp, whether truck bed or rear door floor (seats raised - great wide space). He will not use it solo.

Screenshot_20230912-102729-637.png

Also, I just received these. Not tried them, yet...

IMG_20230912_101549995_HDR.jpg

Vet gives him a shot each month that makes a world of a difference. *Librela 20mg (he's approx 74#'s) it's notably remarkable!

Wish you the best with your dog.

*Edit: Damn Google! Haha! Google changed the shot name, "Librela" to "Liberal"... Go figure. Even Google tries to spin political :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I imagine adding some traction to your ramps like others suggested will help. Those slick surfaces make them nervous, especially if they are uneasy about getting in anyway. Also, a solid surface vs something with openings that he might be able to see through would make him feel more secure. Not sure what style your ramps are.

I suspect something with some traction and a few practice runs at home for confidence and he’ll be loading up like a pro.

How high of an entrance are we talking?

We have the telescoping ramp like in sytes post. It works great for our 14 year old border collie. The carpet helps too. Used it this morning with him to get in the 3/4 ton suburban.

Rio is an outside dog and does not like smooth surfaces, like flooring. Seems like the ramps have minimal texture for grip.
Saw a Weatherguard ad for ramps with a step in middle. Open plastic web like milk crates.
I actually made my own. Put roofing shingles on the steps. Great traction even when wet. I dunno its thats the best way but worked good for my dog.

I ordered one of the petsafe models from chewy. Should be here today.
I have wood ramps for the truck already,this should be easier to deal with around the seat.

Let us know how the Petsafe ramp works. York, if really excited, can still jump up into the back of the Xterra or the Expedition, but usually I have to help him. He has got to where he will allow me to pick him up, for Annette he will put his feet on the bumper so she can lift his back half. I always help him down, he can stove himself up by jumping down.

David
NM

I ordered one of the petsafe models from chewy. Should be here today.
I have wood ramps for the truck already,this should be easier to deal with around the seat.
I’ve got the same one for my Great Dane to get in my F250. We love it. It’s lifted 5” and he rides in the seat so it’s over four feet up. He’s still young and has jumped in but we didn’t like him jumping down and after a day of playing can’t jump that high. At 160lbs there is no lifting him in. I lay it on the floorboard cause it’s more stable and less steep. He just steps up on the seat at the top of the ramp.

I have the folding ramp you just ordered Hank… it was perfect for my old Chessy. Toward the end I had to help her gain some momentum with a bit of a pull on her collar, but she never complained. She was always excited when I opened the truck door and unfolded the ramp !!

Stormy turns 10 in Oct so getting close to he might need help. I have a bank in the driveway that I can back up to and lay a ramp across to the bed of the truck and the ramp lays level. Old guy can tell everyone he get's in on his own!

Stormy a few years ago!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back