Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ohioan looking for WY Pronghorn partner

range

Hi, I'm going to do a WY pronghorn hunt with leftover tags this year. I'll be leaving from eastern Ohio. Probably 7-9 days total, including travel. I'm going to apply for draw but not expecting to. I'd rather accumulate the points and have a sure plan in place, rather then hope to draw on a mediocre or worse area. This is my first year hunting out west. Primarily a whitetail hunter but dabble with turkey, trapping and coyote hunting. 40 y.o. male. I enjoy putting the work into a hunt. Sounds like a lot of guys spot from their truck and don't venture far from that for a shot. I wouldn't mind walking out, especially if it will get us some space. Main objectives are to learn, enjoy the hunt and get some meat. If we could throw in a bird hunt somewhere that would be cool too! Let me know if interested and we can exchange numbers to see if it's a good fit. Thanks!

Good luck finding someone. It's tough in Ohio to find guys willing to commit to a trip. But do yourself a big favor and don't let that stop you, make plans and pull the trigger! I have buddies that have talked about going for ten years, yup there still talking about going. Just go with or without a buddy. Antelope is a perfect hunt for a solo hunt.

I am from Michigan and always plan my own hunts and hunt alone. I prefer it that way.Have got some good info from hunters here but I hunt alone.
If you do not count on anyone else you will not be disappointed.

Ha ha! Thanks guys.
A big benefit of partnering on this trip would be to share the drive and cut that time. It's looking like a 24 hour trip, and I'm not the road warrior I was, so I'm looking at 2 days instead of 1 to get there. I'll just have to extend the trip to 9 days to get a good 4 days of hunting then.
Can I spot that area with a sedan?
Any tips on hunting with leftover tags?
Am I correct in thinking it is only $48 plus the conservation stamp?
Any suggestions on something else to hunt while there? I'm not much of a bird hunter besides turkeys but I've been looking into that. A mule deer might be too involved, no?

You don't lose any preference points when you buy a leftover, correct?

Ha ha! Thanks guys.
A big benefit of partnering on this trip would be to share the drive and cut that time. It's looking like a 24 hour trip, and I'm not the road warrior I was, so I'm looking at 2 days instead of 1 to get there. I'll just have to extend the trip to 9 days to get a good 4 days of hunting then.
Can I spot that area with a sedan?
Any tips on hunting with leftover tags?
Am I correct in thinking it is only $48 plus the conservation stamp?
Any suggestions on something else to hunt while there? I'm not much of a bird hunter besides turkeys but I've been looking into that. A mule deer might be too involved, no?

If I was going out solo from Ohio I would just fly to Gillette, Casper or Rapid City and rent an SUV.

You can hunt from a sedan if you pick areas without good 4x4 access otherwise you will be banging your head against the wall as you get passed by trucks/atv's on BLM roads

Tips on leftover tags are prepare to walk and embrace navigating complicated ownership patterns and expect you will have some stalks blown by other people.

Leftover doe tags are thirty something dollars plus the $12 conservation stamp.

Unless you have a mule deer tag or have a bird dog for sage grouse/sharptails there isn't much to do if you punch you antelope tags beyond shooting prairie dogs. That is the less than ideal part of the hunt. I'm not sure you can get a mule deer tag without PP's in all likelihood.

If I was going out solo from Ohio I would just fly to Gillette, Casper or Rapid City and rent an SUV.

You can hunt from a sedan if you pick areas without good 4x4 access otherwise you will be banging your head against the wall as you get passed by trucks/atv's on BLM roads

Tips on leftover tags are prepare to walk and embrace navigating complicated ownership patterns and expect you will have some stalks blown by other people.

Leftover doe tags are thirty something dollars plus the $12 conservation stamp.

Unless you have a mule deer tag or have a bird dog for sage grouse/sharptails there isn't much to do if you punch you antelope tags beyond shooting prairie dogs. That is the less than ideal part of the hunt. I'm not sure you can get a mule deer tag without PP's in all likelihood.
When I was out there we debated on swinging through northwest Nebraska and looking for Merriam's. We never found any p-dogs in our unit and we ended up going south instead and doing some trout fishing south of Casper.

Sounds like you've get a good plan in place. I would be interested but I'm switching jobs and don't have any vacation the first year. Good luck.

Flew out this past year by myself, rented an SUV and hunted for a week. It's a fairly easy/cheap hunt to do, with or without someone else. It's obviously nice to have someone, especially for the driving like you described, but if you can't find anyone don't make that prevent you from going. It's a blast!

I'm planning on driving out by myself again this year. If I wait for other people To go hunting with me, I will be like them saying some day I'm going out west.

If you sit back and think about it. How many hunts do you get in a lifetime depends on you. But the reality is, not that many. think about how many opening days you get to hunt in a lifetime. Take advantage of every chance you get. And start making memories.

I can only mirror what others have said here. Dad and I put off hunting the west because we were always waiting on others. After we finally made it out antelope hunting, I will never skip a year hunting something out west again, unless there are extenuating circumstances. I will go by myself if I have to.

The leftover doe antelope and deer tags in Wyoming are $34 each and of course you need a $12.50 Conservation Stamp.

I was under the impression that they were $46 That's what it says on the website. When I go up to hunt I buy and print out my conservation stand and hunt my buck and whatever doe tags I got that I put in for. I've never hunted does on a leftover tag.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back