NW Colorado 1st Rifle Elk Help

CodyN

I drew a 1st Rifle tag for the first time! The units that I'll be able to hunt this Oct. are 11, 211, 12, 13,131, 231, 23, 24, 25, 33, 34. As of right now i have a few spots that look good around the 12/23/24 area, but access looks like an issue. I've been hunting for about 5 years now, and have gotten one bull. This is my first hunt without my 'teacher' and I have not hunted in this area before. Pretty much I am just asking for decent areas to look at, because right now I'm having a sensory overload trying to take in the entire area that i can hunt. I will have a camper trailer and my F-150 as far as access goes, no quads or horses (cant afford to rent). I have taken off work from Oct 10th-16th (season is 11th-15th) so i am geared up and ready to go! Just trying to pin point where exactly.

Thanks for your input!:)

This is a pretty tall order to fill. I am guessing you are going to hear crickets with an open ended request like this.

You might start with reviewing the harvest statistics of all of these units; contact the local biologist and warden, to find out where there are concentrations of elk on public during your season and what the access looks like; get some maps and try and find areas with at least 4+ square miles of unroaded habitat that gives the elk access to water, food, cover without having to get within a mile of a road; Also make sure you understand how the elk are going to react to different weather and hunting preasure; try and find a spot that doesn't provide the elk an easy escape to private land as soon as the rounds start going off; look for areas that could be escape routes for fleeing elk and try and position yourself there opening morning.

Lastly, you are more likely to find help if you already have a plan, and you want to validate some of your assumptions.

PS: post a pic of the bull you got, everyone here likes a hero pic, even raghorns!

Good luck!

Pic / Thanks

Firstly, Here's the Bull i got in 2012. I felt like this one was more luck than anything, but id rather be lucky than good! I realize the open endedness of this question is hard to get a response, but I am pretty fixated on the 12/23/24 units b/c i have looked at harvest data for the past 10 years. I have studied maps of all kinds, but i wont have a chance to get up there until the day before the season. Differentiating what is a road for a truck and what is a narrow path for a quad from satellite imagery is difficult.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• 58866_536226599737699_866585750_n.jpg
    58866_536226599737699_866585750_n.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 358
  • 60654_545801482113544_1704745079_n.jpg
    60654_545801482113544_1704745079_n.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 358
Please don't take this as rude, but just a suggestion for the future: If life's obligation will keep you from scouting a unit before the season opens, stick with a unit you know. Can you make it back to where you got this bull on your 1st rifle tag?

Congrats on a great bull!

Thanks!
Unfortunately i am not able to go back to that particular unit. I know that I am nowhere near as prepared for this upcoming season as i should be, which is why i sought out this forum to see if i could get receive some assistance. I am just playing the cards that I was dealt, as awkward as they are going to be.

Nice bull!!

It sounds like you have got things a little narrowed down. I like the sound of the advice about going with what you know, if you can't scout. Other wise I would solicite some advice from the bio and warden and see where that takes you.

You live in Denver?! Get up there now and start scouting! The Aspens are beautiful up there right now.

My thought exactly. You've got two weekends to scout, head to the mountains man!

I've hunted the SE portion of 231 if you have any specific questions. My father in law also had a honey hole in 12, but I can't remember where it was...

Check this out if you haven't already. http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/huntingatlas/ (Turn on the MVUM to show what forest roads are open.)

Good luck!

Last edited:
My thought exactly. You've got two weekends to scout, head to the mountains man!

I've hunted the SE portion of 231 if you have any specific questions. My father in law also had a honey hole in 12, but I can't remember where it was...

Check this out if you haven't already. http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/huntingatlas/ (Turn on the MVUM to show what forest roads are open.)

Good luck!

I have been studying the hunting atlas religiously! The forest service map is a great tool, but all of the access through private land is always questionable. If you ever think of that area in 12, let me know! i'm familiar with highway 8 up there, and want to stay in the NW part of WRNF.

What about the Jensen State Wildlife area in unit 12? It has a lot of acreage, I have never hunted it but first season it may be a starting point.

What about the Jensen State Wildlife area in unit 12? It has a lot of acreage, I have never hunted it but first season it may be a starting point.

I was definitely looking at that SWA, my only concern is that it is pretty low relative to the lands west of there. But the migration routes go right through Jensen. Do you think the 7,500" in Jensen is high enough? vs the 9,000" in the WRNF on the other side of yellow jacket pass. Being first season, my assumption would be that they'd be up really high.

I was definitely looking at that SWA, my only concern is that it is pretty low relative to the lands west of there. But the migration routes go right through Jensen. Do you think the 7,500" in Jensen is high enough? vs the 9,000" in the WRNF on the other side of yellow jacket pass. Being first season, my assumption would be that they'd be up really high.

I would focus more on where the elk are not bothered rather than a particular elevation. Think about it, if an elk has food, cover, and water, and all the hunters assume that the elk are up high, where would you go?

My buddy shot a helluva bull in a very heavily hunted unit last year by going down into the PJ's (~6500'), because all the hunters were on top in the aspen/pine forests. Wasn't the only bull they saw down there either.

I would focus more on where the elk are not bothered rather than a particular elevation. Think about it, if an elk has food, cover, and water, and all the hunters assume that the elk are up high, where would you go?

My buddy shot a helluva bull in a very heavily hunted unit last year by going down into the PJ's (~6500'), because all the hunters were on top in the aspen/pine forests. Wasn't the only bull they saw down there either.

That's a good point. Not familiar with the PJ's, but im definitely looking to get as far away from the road as possible (on foot). My hope is that first season isnt too crowded, but I wont know for sure until im up there.

Back