November in MT, bring the fly rod?

devon deer

Hi All,
Would you bother bringing a fly rod?
I will concentrate on the Elk hunt, but not fishing in arguably the best fly fishing location in the world goes against the grain.
I assume it will be a waste of time, but would like some advice please.
Will be mainly in the Madison range, but early on near Livingston for the deer hunt.
Cheers
Richard

Bring the Rod.

Spring creeks and streamers on the Yellowstone in November is ridiculously good fishing. Plan on swinging some soft hackles as well.

If you punch that tag early, bring a 7 to 9 wt and keep driving over to Idaho and hit some steelhead.

Depends on where you are coming from.......(flying in to billings, bozeman?) If you have time the best action for your time is by far the bighorn by fort smith. That is streamer time. Bring your 7wt and you can realistically land 45-60 over 14 inches in a day. If its in the 50s, overcast, without wind, it can be so awesome it's re-donkulus!!!!! The jelly stone is fun but can be fickle at times. Most guys say "a monkey can catch fish on the 'horn.". Well if that's the case call me a monkey's freakin uncle!!!!!

Last edited:
My favorite time of year to fish. I think I posted some pictures from some late October or early November fishing last year in the "Fishing hole" section.

Last edited:
Yep bring one, as long as its bamboo and silk with a Dingly reel. ;) Are you going to be in the Madison valley near Ennis? If so, you shouldnt have any trouble finding a place to fish.

Last edited:
Between morning and evening is a good time to "relax". Hard to find a better way :)

Between morning and evening is a good time to "relax". Hard to find a better way :)

You come all the way from GB to shoot an elk, you'd better hunt all day.

Throw a 4-6 weight rod and reel in. Buy some of "whatever works" at the local flyshop if you get the chance.

But don't go out of your way to bring a rod and a bunch of equipment. You'll probably be elk hunting the whole time.

Many thanks chaps, i didnt need much convincing, but you have done just that, i will throw in some basic kit.
I have got 2 weeks on the ground so should get in a few hours chucking some fluff.
The only worm i will bring is a San Juan Worm, by the way Dink, that is a sub surface fly:D
Cheers
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back