Nothing but rain, is it worth it??

308reloader

First let me say: This is the first year I've ever bought a bear license. I'm 32-years old and I love to hunt, but I've never pursued a bear before, so I'm fairly new to this whole game. I live on the very southern end of Flathead County and have been going out for the past week or so, looking for a bruin somewhere. The problem now is that the weather is supposed to be WET for the whole week, apparently. Rain, rain, rain!! I realize that regardless of the weather, animals have to eat, but is it worth it for me to go out and drench myself to find one, or are their movements and such minimized and next to nothing in the rain?
I can't seem to find much of anything on whether hunting bear in the rain is productive or not. For every post that I find that seems to be positive about hunting bears in the rain, there seems to be just as many that are against it and say that it isn't worth it! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

In my opinion, the rain doesn't bother them all that much. I spotted one this year, and it took two hours to get down the mountain, cross a large drainage and climb up the next side to get to him. It rained for about an hour while I was stalking him, and he was still in the same spot that I'd last seen him, soaking wet and feeding on a rock slide. That being said, the best way to find a bear is to sit, for a long time, and glass...sometimes a long ways away. When the rain really sets in (not the usual afternoon spring showers), it makes it very difficult to actually see anything. I don't mind the afternoon showers or a light drizzle, but If your visibility is down to a 1/4 mile or so, or it's raining so hard that you're miserable...then I probably wouldn't go.

It wasn't raining too awful hard up where we were at, but it was enough that it was obscuring my vision a little bit. I could still see the hillside that I was glassing, but not as well as before the rain started. I was out with the wife, so maybe it was her saying that since it was raining we needed to go home, that was making me think that if my Missus says we don't need to be out, then maybe the bears aren't out either! LOL.

I can't say I was out in soaking rain the past few years too often. But I did find that in the rain, it was obviously cooler, they seemed to be out in the openings longer into the morning, and back into the clearcuts earlier in the evening.

But I did find that in the rain, it was obviously cooler, they seemed to be out in the openings longer into the morning, and back into the clearcuts earlier in the evening.

Exactly my (limited) experience. Cold spells in late May have been the most productive for me, and it looks like that's exactly what this is going to be. Find a dry spot under a tree and glass away.

I'd hunt as long as your comfortable. I saw a bear in the rain last night and he didn't seem to care at all. When we woke up this morning it was noticeably colder which makes me think there probably going to be up on their feet longer feeding.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back