Northern Nevada Antelop (My wife's first)

huntbux

My wife and I put in for tags in Nevada every year and she has been waiting for 6 years to get an Antelope tag. This year being number 6. She did not receive an Antelope tag initially when the draw first came out. However, by some stroke of luck she received an alternate Antelope tag after someone turned one in after drawing the tag later in the year. Needless to say we only had two weeks to prepare for the hunt and only would have two days to hunt. Luckily I have hunted this zone multiple times in the last 6 years for Antelope. My family and friends have been lucky enough to draw this zone 4 out of the last 6 years so we know it well.
The Rim fire in California has put a damper on the visibility out here in northern Nevada.

The first day only being able to see roughly 500 yds from the truck we did a lot of walking in the smoke and heat. We saw a ton of Antelope. Over 40 bucks and at least 200 Antelope that day. 1 buck right at last light we found was a very good buck. I put him the the mid 80's but she did not feel comfortable with the shot in the low light/smoke so she passed him up.
That night the wind blew out of control 30+ mph all night and in our tent we did not get much sleep. However that wind help keep the smoke out of the area the next morning and we had much better luck spotting Antelope.

We went for a hike to a water hole that it seemed most of the Antelope and one real nice buck was moving towards.
We got into position 200 yds from the water hole and set up for the Antelope making their way to water.

The larger buck that we were waiting for appeared on the skyline and as he did someone in a vehicle drove down the center of the canyon and right in between us and the Antelope moving him across the valley and over a mountain miles away.
We knew there was multiple bucks and my wife decided with the amount of time we had to hunt that she wanted to wait and get a buck no matter the size as we both really like the meat.

Soon two smaller bucks moved into the area and at about 300 yds the larger of the two bucks bedded down within view of us and the water hole. I have my wife the range and told her if you want him he is a legal buck and he is 300 yds. After staring at him through the scope for a few minutes she decided to take him and with one shot from her rifle she had tagged out and the real work had begun.

It was a great hunt, although very short. My wife learned many lessons on this hunt and was a great experience for her and I.
In two weeks I head off to Idaho for Elk and then in October we both have Mule Deer tags. Hopefully we can have as much luck as we did on this hunt.

A lifetime memory. I love hunting antelope, eating antelope, and pretty much anything related to antelope. Something about chasing them in a place as desolate and vast as Nevada that is hard to replicate. I am now off the "waiting list" and back in the pool after drawing in 2007.

Congrats to your wife.

Congrats to you guys! That smoke looks miserable. Seems like it's the year of the lady pronghorn hunter in NV. That's the 3rd story I have seen on here.

Good story and nice pictures. I like the photo where Diamonds and brass are a girl's best friend ! If I was guessing I would say that brass is about 30-06 or 270 carats!!

Huntbux,
Congrats looks like you guys had a great time. All the pics are great but I'm going to agree with David R. Diamonds and brass! Good luck on the rest of your hunts

Thanks everyone, my wife was very proud and still a week later talks about the hunt like ti was yesterday. Hopefully we will be out in Wyoming chasing lopes next year. All depends on work and such. I have 2 more years to wait and now she has 5. Will be applying for shorter than the ears for a while in order to get the meat that we both like so much.

I agree 1_pointer, looking for some other states to hunt them in during my waiting period here in Nevada.

Congrats to you and your wife! She should be proud. Wow - one shot at 300-yards on her first antelope. That's better than most of us.

Awesome story and pics. Not a lot of antelope opportunity here in OK. You have to draw out for a once-in-a-lifetime rifle tag. But you can go after them with archery equipment but there is only a small area of public hunting land. Otherwise you have to pay trespass fees to landowners

Awesome, congratulations! Great story. I also drew my first ever antelope tag here in NV, I still have to wait three weeks for my hunt but I hope to have as good of an experience as you and your wife.

I agree 1_pointer, looking for some other states to hunt them in during my waiting period here in Nevada.
Good deal! Though the odds aren't all that great, there are some in No. Utah that if you draw I can probably help you with some areas. Also, you can still buy a point in WY for a future application!

Back