Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

North Texas Deer

sotherncoloradoguy

Hay guys i hope every1 drew a good tag this year, but if your like me you didnt... so iam here ask a few questians about a place i am gunna try this year. i am gunna hunt north texas. does any 1 have any type of info on public land arround lubbock and nortn to oklahoma. i am currently studying rita blanca nat forrest. i am also wondering about what type of deer mule/wt are there and a guess at population. by no means am i after a200+ deer just after the theill of the hunt.... but ill take one if i see em. if any one has any info for me please get at me

Public land up there is tough. I'd go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website and search for the public land hunts on WMA's. There are a few up there, but they are a draw also. I'd recommend Gene Howe for a chance at a big whitetail. I'm not sure what mule deer opportunities are available on WMA's.

correct. Wildlife Management Areas. I'd check the site and if you're really interested in mule deer see if they are having hunts on the Matador or Caprock Canyons State Parks. Matador can be real good for both muleys and whitetails.

Colorado Guy...Texas is quite sparse in public land. If you are looking for a quality Whitetail on public you will likely be very upset with what you find. The public draw hunts are an option but the odds of drawing a tag in a good area will be a long shot. I agree with wyoming556 that OK will give you more public to access and better deer than TX. The best option I can offer would be NE. OTC tags, good deer and relatively low pressure.

Colorado Guy...Texas is quite sparse in public land. If you are looking for a quality Whitetail on public you will likely be very upset with what you find. The public draw hunts are an option but the odds of drawing a tag in a good area will be a long shot. I agree with wyoming556 that OK will give you more public to access and better deer than TX. The best option I can offer would be NE. OTC tags, good deer and relatively low pressure.

I agree DrThornton, If you are after mule deer or whitetail NE would be a good choice as well. There are many national forests, grasslands, wma's, wilderness, etc to hunt. You will find much less pressure if you hunt during muzzleloader season in December as well. Check the regs on the southern part of the state for mule deer. Some areas are mule deer conservation areas and have diferent regs than the northern part of the state.

There should be leftover Kansas whitetail tags for the south central and southwest part of the state still available. There are some pretty good public areas to hunt especially if you bowhunt or can make the early muzzleloader season in Septmeber. One pretty good one is cimarron national grassland in the sw corner of the state.. 100,000+ acres of public land with deer, antelope, and elk.

Thanks guys. You all just confirmed what I was told by people from the "Texas Hunting Forum". I was going to visit a Vietnam buddy who lives in Spur, just East of Lubbock, the first week of October. Since early bow season starts Oct 1 thru Nov 4, I was going to try and get OTC tags, and try to find some public area to hunt, and also see if I could bag a couple hogs with my bow, because I've never bagged a hog with my bow before. I just found out today that my next door neighbor, a non-hunter, but who is going with me, has a son who is graduating from Lackland Airforce Base, San Antonio, sometime around the end of October, SOOOOO... Anyone who has any info on public land DIY bowhunting areas down there, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I've never been down there before, and live in upper northwest New Mexico. Also, do you have to have a "Hunters Safety Card" in texas to bowhunt???.. I am 62 years old and normally just bowhunt.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back