Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

North Idaho Deer

JWhunter

I am in college at U of I. I am just wondering if I could find a nice 140 is white tail up around here, or if I should drive back down by my typical hunting unit 56... I am just wondering what the potential and numbers are like up here? I know it's super short notice. I have a General Deer Tag.

In my opinion, you are in as good a spot as any to find a good whitetail... Anywhere from just south of you around St. Maries, all the way to Canada... My fav spots are up around priest lake... plenty of 140ish whities up that direction...
On the other hand... if you have a great spot in 56 where you can probably tag a 140+ buck... a sure thing is always nice!!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/10/02/3404966/deer-hunting-by-spreadsheet.html
Check out this cool feature IF&G put together compiling unit-by-unit deer info, statewide. While there are not 140-class bucks under every bush, there are plenty of respectable bucks hiding within a short drive of UI. The Clearwater Country, St. Maries, Potlatch, some of the timberlands between Bovill and Elk River. The bucks are there. Access is good. You just gotta log your time. GO VANDALS!

Awesome thanks for the advice I was thinking down around Nez Perce???

That unit is around 90-95% private and a controlled hunt for mule deer, if you can find access it has some good whitetails. Finding a 140 buck is definitely doable in any unit around the Clearwater and Panhandle, but between the thick timber and private land in some areas they can be tough to find.

As a college student you get the week of Thanksgiving off which is some of the best whitetail hunting there is. There are good whitetail bucks within an hour of Moscow. Do not be fooled into thinking you have to get on private land to find them. The mid elevation country from the Clearwater River to Canada is all good hunting.

unless you have private land access around nez perce, forget about it. its notoriously hard to get access and everyones hunting around thanksgiving on their farm ground. If you look on idfg you might find something?

When I was there in the late 80's and early 90's (go Vandals!!) The school forest areas were always a good bet. Check out West Hatter Creek and Flat Creek. Also plenty of forest service lands up Big Creek and the Palouse River. Good Luck!!

Check out the viola area. You won't be alone but my dad's best friend lives there, shoots the first thing he sees every year. He has 4 or 5 bucks over 140, biggest being about 160. Most of those bucks are from 8 to 10 years ago but there Are a few in there. I believe it's also the north side of moscow mountain. Google earth Marshall road you will find some areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back