non trophy elk

old man

For those of you that are only looking to harvest any elk. what do you look for in deciding what state or unit you want to hunt? Also what makes you pick a certain season? if you are hunting alone do you have people to help hall out the meat?

:) (if you are old and gray like me)

I just buy left-over cow permits in Wyoming. I can go hunting every year. I hunt alone and haul the meat out by myself. And yes, I am old and gray and will keep doing it as long as I can.:)

Im not old and grey but When it comes to filling the freezer I will take easy all day long. I buy a couple left over cow permits in wy and wait for a good snow then I go Double down on a couple cows, quarter them and throw them in my jet sled and walk out. PS I usually wait until I find them bedded and sunning on a ridge on the up hill side of the road :) might have to walk a mile but I have been doing that for the last several years.

I just buy left-over cow permits in Wyoming. I can go hunting every year. I hunt alone and haul the meat out by myself. And yes, I am old and gray and will keep doing it as long as I can.:)

^^^ same here. I go over thanksgiving as it is most convenient for my schedule

Im not old and grey but When it comes to filling the freezer I will take easy all day long. I buy a couple left over cow permits in wy and wait for a good snow then I go Double down on a couple cows, quarter them and throw them in my jet sled and walk out. PS I usually wait until I find them bedded and sunning on a ridge on the up hill side of the road :) might have to walk a mile but I have been doing that for the last several years.

Only a mile!!:D Mine are usually more like two gps miles from the truck. Good job. I guess I need to change my strategy or something.:rolleyes:

I like this plan....

Only a mile!!:D Mine are usually more like two gps miles from the truck. Good job. I guess I need to change my strategy or something.:rolleyes:

HA a mile is my max for a cow usually they are within 1200 yards of the road, what if I told you the walk was usually a retrieval walk and usually leave my rifle back in the truck. Its all in the area your hunting and knowing where the elk are going to be when pressured. Living in the area you hunt helps too.I dont feel bad about it either. I will spend several days in the back country chasing bulls and bucks but im not working my butt off for a cow. ;)

That must be a good area. Won't happen much in the areas that I hunt. I guess I am a little different in the respect that I will work just as hard for a cow as I ever did for the bulls that I have shot. I don't even chase antlers anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back