MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Non-Residents hunting your State

mtnmike

Do you have a problem with Non-Residents hunting in your State? If so, please explain. It seems as if some States are becoming less and less friendly toward NR which does not make a lot of sense when State Budgets are shrinking and there is money to be made from the NR Hunter. I can understand from the Res Hunter's viewpoint that competition for tags, hunting ground and animals has a lot to do with it. But also, NR hunter's having to pay 10 times the price for a Tag or license keeps prices lower for the Resident hunter. In Texas, there is no limit to the number of Non-Residents that hunt here. A Non-Res license costs $315.00. It includes 5 Whitetail Tags, 2 Mule Deer Tags, 3 Turkey Tags and Unlimited Hogs and Exotics. Sounds like a bargain compared to the 1100.00 dollars I spent for a Montana Elk/Deer Combo Tag. What are your thoughts?

Well, mtnmike, I don't have a problem with NR hunters at all. As long as their numbers are controlled. We're fully aware of the fact that 90% of Texas is private, and that $315 spent on licences doesn't get you on the land. You have to pay much more for that opportunity. I'd bet that when you get done with the fees to trespass, Montana doesn't look as bad. You also choose to buy a the OSL. You won't spend as much money next time you come, it'll be $100 cheaper. Tell us the whole story, and we might feel sorry for you.

Well, mtnmike, I don't have a problem with NR hunters at all. As long as their numbers are controlled. We're fully aware of the fact that 90% of Texas is private, and that $315 spent on licences doesn't get you on the land. You have to pay much more for that opportunity. I'd bet that when you get done with the fees to trespass, Montana doesn't look as bad. You also choose to buy a the OSL. You won't spend as much money next time you come, it'll be $100 cheaper. Tell us the whole story, and we might feel sorry for you.

For $48.00, anyone has access to over 1 million acres of Public land in Texas. FYI, Montana can charge what they want. If I want to hunt there, I will pay it. If not, I will go elsewhere.

I don't have a problem with non resident hunters and hopefully if I hunt out of state the residents don't have a problem with me.

Agree 100% with 6speed. I think Wis is very reasonable for NR and once you drive like 150 miles north of Madison there is actually no shortage of public land to hunt. There are some locals who dont take kindly to even resident hunters in their "own" little areas but I believe that is the exception rather than the rule. Have hunted Illinois, SD,ND, and Wy and it seems as if most folks treated me kindly.

When I'm an NR I don't mind them at all. When I am up hunting in my honeyhole and see an outta state rig parked nearby, I grumble a bit but figure the bozo is too ignorant to hunt the great spots anyway. (why else would he come to Idaho?)

Since I mostly hunt as a NR, I don't have any problems with them. I think they pay their fair share (and then some) and have just as much right to the public land as anyone else.

If they pay the price in Iowa they should be able to hunt.

The one problem with Iowa is..... Iowa has the least amount of land in the public hands. LESS THEN 1% OF THE ENTIRE STATE IS PUBLIC.

There has been some complaining about NR's buying up ground, however, that's thier choice.

As a NR hunter in the western states I have been treated very nice.

good luck to all
the dog

When I went to Wyoming last year to bowhunt antelope the locals were very kind and hospitabale. They chatted us up and seemed genuinely interested in where we were from and where we were hunting. Heck, they would even tell us where they had been seeing antelope. I think it's different in communities where alot of the yearly income is generated from hunters.

For $48.00, anyone has access to over 1 million acres of Public land in Texas. FYI, Montana can charge what they want. If I want to hunt there, I will pay it. If not, I will go elsewhere.

Not really sure how you can compare Texas to Montana in that regard. Do you know what would happen if MT issued unlimited NR tags for 7 deer at $315 a pop?

I have no problem with NR hunters, in fact I have friends that live in other states and I cross my fingers every year they put in the MT draw. Certainly, a good portion of the FWP budget is funded by NR hunters and I thank them for that.

However, when NR hunters gripe and complain and advocate rediculous managment policies...then they start to get on my nerves. :rolleyes:

Since I mostly hunt as a NR, I don't have any problems with them. I think they pay their fair share (and then some) and have just as much right to the public land as anyone else.

I agree.

I have never understood why it really matters what the license plate says when your hunting. If it's an in-state plate it's ok, but it's not ok if it's out of state? My experience where I hunt is the residents don't hunt nearly as hard or long as the NR's, I would guess because of the investment. Can't say enough good things about the small business owners though. They really seem to appreciate the business.

IMO...I think it is a little hypocritical to sit here and fill apps out for 3-5 out of state hunts, Go on some of those hunts and then get mad when i see a non resident in my area when i get back. I have no problem with NR here. I would rather see a bunch of non resident plates in the woods this season than a pack of wolves. :)

Texas is a fantastic big game hunting state. So fabulous I got out as fast as I could after college. Great people, great state, but a joke of a place for the DIY big game hunter.

I have a problem with nonresidents coming in and offering thousands of dollars for hunting leases. This gives landowners the idea that we should all pay exorbitant fees for the privilege of hunting. I can't afford that.

I have made 31 trips to Colorado/Wyoming as a NR. I have always been treated well and made to feel welcome.

Here at home, we have NR coming in and buying land. No matter the appraised land value. They have the money, (read, oil money) they buy. The results are that land values have doubled due to "recreational" value. This has caused the land taxes to almost double. In my home county, over 90% of the landowners do not live in that county. This has made it tough on resident landowners.

I have no problem with most NR hunters as well as most R hunters. There can be bad apples in both groups.

I have relatives that come hunt with me every year. Its funny sometimes how friendly or not R can be depending on who's rig we drive.

I've only hunted as a NR once and I've got no problem with NR's hunting Arizona, though my dad always grumbles about it. They foot a bigger bill and they're limited to 10% of the tags, so it doesn't take away from my chances at drawing. It's my fellow Arizonans scooping up all the good tags I'm missing out on. :(

I think states need to regulate and manage NR numbers carefully and not just go for the easy money. If they're allowing unlimited NR's and herd numbers are in sharp decline, they're not serving the interest of their state very well.

I'm glad Uncle Teddy had the foresight to set aside plenty of land in most western states that we still have places to go. I have a bigger problem with the shenanigans pulled by legislators that allow for "public" land to be sold out from under us. And people riding quads through my hunting area pisses me right off...

I have no problem with most NR hunters as well as most R hunters. There can be bad apples in both groups.

I have relatives that come hunt with me every year. Its funny sometimes how friendly or not R can be depending on who's rig we drive.

Absolutley true. If you have nonresident plates your could literally be flipping a guy off as you edge by him on a 2 track and he may never see you cause his neck is so stiff trying not to acknowledge you or be seen looking your way. Same guy an hour later sees you with Res plates and he's flagging you down to chat.

I called a guy out on that one day and he was kinda surpised to learn he was a prick. Then had a good laugh.

Never had any problem hunting as a NR in either Wy. or Co.Plus, I've never ran into another hunter in the woods in either while hunting elk.I think I may have more trouble if/when I draw a better LE unit.If I lived in one of those states I can't see why I'd have a problem with NR.i would know the area much better and they'd be keeping the cost of my licenses down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back