Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then target a change in management of these public lands not an outfitter set aside the does nothing to address this issue.

Yep. There's a new EMP being worked on, with a fair number of Hunt Talkers as part of the Council, and there's the likelihood of a Deer Mgt Plan to happen after a new EMP is finalized. That's the appropriate place to look towards increasing harvest on public lands.

Outfitters should follow Eric's advice, and quit trying to eliminate the Breaks Bundled Archery permits then, as it's creating a better hunting experience than letting everyone overrun public land.

Hello All,
Full disclosure, I'm a PA resident hunter whose been fortunate enough to hunt various game in the Western states several times over the years. I've hunted in MT as both a NR DIY and through an Outfitter. I have not (yet) taken a bull elk and am in the early planning stages for another hunt with MT strongly being considered. I came across the issue of SB143 and this thread late last night so haven't had time to research it as fully as I would have liked. However, based on what I have been able to glean, I feel strongly that SB143 is designed to primarily benefit and prioritize the Outfitter's interests.

There is already a higher demand for MT NR tags than there is supply, no one is arguing that, and it doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. It stands to reason that SB143, if it passes, would result in the following (including but not limited to): (1) Longer wait times on average for a NR DIY hunter to draw a tag due to higher preference/bonus points needed and smaller supply of tags; (2) Outfitters, who can guarantee tags, will most likely lease up more private land (resulting in few hunting opportunities for MT residents) and increase the prices of their hunting packages.

For many of us hunting out of state is a major investment in time and/or money. DIY hunts can generally be done more frequently, and for less monetary investment, than Outfitter hunts but require a greater investment of time and research. On the other hand an Outfitter hunt, which typically costs more than a DIY hunt, may require many years to save up the thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) of dollars required. Outfitter hunts generally make up for that by providing local knowledge and/or access to property/areas that have a better chance of harvesting an animal(s). MT is a preferred hunting destination for many, myself included, and SB143 would require choosing between waiting years for a NR DIY tag, ponying up large sums for an Outfitter-hunt, or even looking at a different state altogether.

My post probably won't change anyone's opinion but for what its worth I lent my voice to those opposing SB143 and sent emails stating such to all the members of the MT Senate Fish and Game Committee.

Stay safe.
Chuck

Please update as soon an anyone knows if anything substantive comes of this hearing today, I've just learned of this mess, and as a NR who loves Montana, this is terribly scary.

Please update as soon an anyone knows if anything substantive comes of this hearing today, I've just learned of this mess, and as a NR who loves Montana, this is terribly scary.
Yeh it is , and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even if this doesn’t pass now it’s coming . I love Montana too , and I’ll never do an outfitter hunt mostly because of cost , I’d rather hunt deer and elk every year rather then have to save up for 5 years to be able to do it . So yes it’s very scary to me to but I’m bracing myself and being realistic about where it’s headed eventually

Anyone able to post the link to watch the F&G session? I'm scrolling page by page though either skipped it or it's many pages back...?

Phones are great though a b-tch for research... haha!
Thanks

Anyone able to post the link to watch the F&G session? I'm scrolling page by page though either skipped it or it's many pages back...?

Phones are great though a b-tch for research... haha!
Thanks

They're still on the floor, so expect it to be around 3:30 MST, maybe a bit earlier.

I was just kidding, I'm watching it. I truly want to know where they get the guided hunters spend 5x more than diy NR hunters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back