Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Non Resident Idaho Mule Deer

dmcrobb12

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I joined up hoping to get a little advice on planning a mule deer hunt in idaho. I spoke with Idaho fish and game today and was surprised to learn I can get an over the counter mule deer tag even though I live in Alberta.

Next year my kid brother will get his journeyman millwright ticket and I wanted to surprise him and take him on a backpack mule deer hunt. I've done a bit of research but am going to do more when I get home from work. I was told by the lady at the fish and wildlife office that the they have a 'plan your hunt' section on their website so I'll give that a try.

I was just wondering if any of you know the state well and could point us in the right direction. I would prefer to get somewhere with no road access, just backpack in. We'd be looking for preferably mule deer. We aren't trophy hunters by any means, I just think it would be a great trip to take my brother on. We've been hunting the same areas here in Alberta for the past 10 years and would like to try something new. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks eh,

Donnie

It sounds like to me you want to hunt in the units around the city of Ketchum. Great deer & limited access. Get off the roads and navigate past private. You may end up with a whopper.

If you are already planning to come, I'd pick two areas; one general season one and one controlled hunt unit. Buy your license, put in for the controlled hunt and if you don't draw buy the general season tag and come hunt your general season area of choice.

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking into ketchum and also the panhandle/Coeur d'Alene units. I've also read that the frank church wilderness is good too but you need a plane or boat to get in there. Is there a place I can order maps? Also was wondering if any of these units have rivers or creeks that are fishable. I really appreciate the replies, I was a little nervous posting on this forum being out of country and am thankful for the positive responses

Don't worry, Canada is just considered another territory we own.... We will treat you like servants...

Think about which month you want to plan this adventure. If you want warm weather and September, that will lead to different ideas than if you want snow, cold and November.

Think about how many days you guys can commit to this adventure. 3 days living out of a backpack while hunting is different than 7 days living out of a trailhead and day hunting.

There are mule deer in 60+ hunting units in Idaho, all of them could be successful for you, all of them could be complete wastes of time and energy.

Good luck.

And, fyi, if you don't know, Corb Lund is my favorite Albertan.....

Don't worry, Canada is just considered another territory we own.... We will treat you like servants...

Think about which month you want to plan this adventure. If you want warm weather and September, that will lead to different ideas than if you want snow, cold and November.

Think about how many days you guys can commit to this adventure. 3 days living out of a backpack while hunting is different than 7 days living out of a trailhead and day hunting.

There are mule deer in 60+ hunting units in Idaho, all of them could be successful for you, all of them could be complete wastes of time and energy.

Good luck.

And, fyi, if you don't know, Corb Lund is my favorite Albertan.....

Hahah ill take that, If you guys own us could you possibly find a way to get rid of our PM Mr. Trudeau??

We are going to put in for controlled hunts like suggested in earlier posts. If not drawn, we would just get a general tag. I seen the season for unit 48 and 49 are open mid to end October. So that's when we would probably go. I'll be able to have 18 days off just because of the shift I'm on so we'd like to hunt 7-10 days or so. We do quite a few 7-10 day backpack hunts in the rockies here in Alberta. We'd prefer to live out of our packs and just keep setting up camp as we go.

I don't think I would ever be able to call this trip a waste of time and energy. I've always gone into every hunt wanted to have fun and make memories. Getting an animal will just be a bonus. That being said we will be hunting hard and are going to do our best to find deer.

I don't blame you on that one, Corb Lund is the man. I just seen him live this summer. Great show.

Thanks for the tips i'll continue my research haha

Almost any flowing water you find should have fish in it and some high lakes may as well. Quite a bit of catch and release fishing, but also opportunities to keep some fish to if you want to supplement your food. A hunting license includes 3 days of fishing that you get to choose or you can also purchase other short term fishing licenses if you desire more days.

Sounds like you're getting some good advice and it also sounds like you're experienced and know what to expect in the mountains like critters that like to hunt hunters!

FWIW, there are alot easier places to hunt with lots more deer than the Frank Church. I did not see very many deer in the time I've spent in that country.

FWIW, there are alot easier places to hunt with lots more deer than the Frank Church. I did not see very many deer in the time I've spent in that country.

That's what I read on another forum. I have frank church crossed of the list with a few more added. I'll continue my research. I really appreciate everyone's input and tips. My other brother called me crazy for planning this early but i'm happy I started now. I want it to be a fun trip plus after talking to an officer at the border he said theres quite a bit of paper work that needs to be filled out.

So far I've narrowed it down to 5 units, 35, 36, 39, 43 and 48. I have read some good things on these units. I'm leaning towards 39 just because I've read on other forums and reports that most OTC zones get pounded hard by road hunters, unless you're willing to backpack and get away from any trails. Although I have read unit 39 is very busy I figured it seemed like big unit where we can get way back and hope to stay away from most pressure. It also looks like it has a few rivers/creeks with decent trout fishing.

You ready? I've never divulged this info...probably shouldn't.
Find the area with the most road hunters in it, go there and don't road hunt. You're welcome.

good units, in my opinion over the years of hunting 39 it seems like whatever you do it is very hard to get away from people. On another the hand the Frank will make a man out of ya real quick :cool:

I've seen plenty of deer in the Frank. Later is better than earlier. Two trips ago first week we'd see a few a day. Last week of October we'd see 40+ deer a day.

Yessir.
I think what we mean is if it's your first go at it, don't go the the church...unless you like working with logistics, flights, things going wrong for any number of reasons, backup plans, backup areas, backup plans/areas for your backup plans, plan C, Plan D, backup equiptment...etc

like mentioned apply for controlled hunts you will see more deer on these hunts usually...then pick the units you wanna hunt OTC. I wouldn't hunt the panhandle for mule deer, yes there are muleys. Its very thick and the deer can be hard to find if you have never been here it could be a long hunt.

Hey guys, happy new years. My trip planning came to a halt over the holidays. Things are always hectic that time of year. But anyways I am back at work and I have continued my research the past few weeks. I'm really liking unit 36, 36A & 36B. I also really liked 39 but it seems everywhere I read said have fun getting away from other hunters. You guys have any pros and cons on these units. My uncle has also decided to come so there will be 3 of us now. I think I'm going to bring the bow and the other two are bringing rifles.

I'm having trouble deciding on a specific unit. Usually when I hunt new spots here in Alberta I'll take numerous scouting trips throughout the summer just so I am familiar with the area. Its kind of hard being 1300km away and do a weekend scout. Anyways if you guys have any other tips to point a guy in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know how the winter has been. I read on another site, some people were saying that its been a harsh winter in Idaho and that there will be higher than normal winter kill this year.

Thanks everyone!!

Back