Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Non-Resident Elk Hunt 2017 - Limited Entry Vs OTC - Units 3,11,211

tydurand14

Hey Everyone I'm a huge fan of this page an everything that is discussed here there is so much good information. Before I continue to ask my questions, I want to point out I have reviewed many of the online resources like draw odds, migration patterns, summer/winter ranges, and success rates many units and I think I have formulated a decent plan but want to refine it more.

I am looking to hunting Either Colorado Unit 3,11,211 in 2017, with a Rifle, and I am wondering a few things.

1) I think I have figured out that as a non-resident with 0 points, I should get drawn tags for either 1st or 4th rifle season. Is it worth applying for limited entry for these units to get 1st season? or use the limited entry for other units since I should be able to buy an OTC Elk tag for 4th Season anyway?

2) Any tips on what unit would be better to hunt for access, elk population, pressure, burned out areas? I am an avid back packer and love to hunt tough back country. I have no problem going 5-10 miles, climbing ridges, back country camping, etc.

3) Anyone else either Resident or Non-resident looking into these units to hunt for 2017? I plan to go with 1-2 other guys and would enjoy to meet some other like minded people from around the country or just be able to discuss hunting these units in greater detail?

Thank you everyone for the generosity of transferring information!

Last edited:
Not by myself no, but to have a good hunt and get some great mountain time in yeah. I ma travelling from out of state and willing to put the work in. I grew up in the Rocky Mountains in BC Canada but am currently living in Texas just trying to get as much mountain time in as possible during a good Elk hunt.

Last edited:
I'm guessing from the terminology that you are talking about Colorado?

If so - I think you should do a good bit more research, since some of your preferred attributes seem kind of contradictory to that part of our state.

• The 3 units you mention are Pinion-Juniper and Sagebrush country. There are not many places you can even get 5 miles from a road.
  • All 4th (and 1st as you mention) season rifle tags in CO are by drawing, only 2nd and 3rd are truly OTC, though
  • While all 3 of those units are huntable under the 2nd and 3rd season OTC tags, they are separated in the 1st and 4th seasons:
  • For 1st Rifle, Unit 3 is part of the hunt code that also includes the units to the East and South (3,4,5,214,301,441)
  • For first rifle, Units 11 and 211 are part of a different Hunt Code that includes basically all of the Flat Tops units
    (11,12,13,23,24,25,26,33,34,131,211,231)
  • For 4th Rifle, Unit 3 is in a hunt code with unit 301
  • Similarly - the Flat tops units are broken up differently in 4th season (I don't know much about the 4th season tags as a rule)

Beyond that, 211 has some access issues with landlocked parcels. It is certainly 'backcountry' out there, but just extrapolating from your question on 'burns' and 'mountain time'/'backpacking' - I think you should look at the areas with subalpine and alpine country.

Last edited:
Cedahm - Thank you very much for the advice! I will look into this more as you have clarified some of the questions that I have regarding the different units. The information on the Units and the Hunt Codes is really helpful too this is my first time putting in for limited entry down here and its somewhat different. The flat tops sound really interesting to me, looks like you can glass that ground for a long time and see great distances but have lots of first cover for the critters too.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back