Caribou Gear Tarp

NM Unit 53 Mule deer

CzechHunter

I got drawn for Unit 53 for Mule deer in New Mexico. I have never hunted in NM been camping and fishing out in that area. Never hunted Mule deer but have hunted other big game. Looking for any good tips for finding mule deer. I know the Reservation is the south 3rd of the unit. My tag is for 26-30 in October. My question is would my time be better suited looking in the high country wilderness or out on the BLM along the western half of the unit?

If you can get to the top of Wheeler peak, you’ll see the biggest deer about 100 miles to the north.

Sorry, I’ve never hunted the are either.

This will probably depend on weather. I'd probably stick to the high country and get as far away from roads and people as possible. Of course last summer I watched a young buck walk through the town of Red River like he owned the place.

There is a lot of HIGH country there. You didn't mention which season but The comment about Wheeler peak ain't far off!

Go high as you can and watch for lightning...

If you find good glassing area, stick with it and keep going back if possible. A lot of that country is best suited for archery hunting, it's pretty thick and hard to glass. No kidding about the high country, lots of cool country in that unit that is every bit as high elevation as a lot of CO and other mountain states. And don't be shy about chatting with the locals. If you're nice, they're nice, and generally pretty free with the info. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuckyDraw
Back