NM pronghorn hunt

Just for craps and giggles, what did he actually score? I've killed a couple pronghorns but I like seeing their scores up beside their pictures so I can improve on my own counting inches ability.

Just for craps and giggles, what did he actually score? I've killed a couple pronghorns but I like seeing their scores up beside their pictures so I can improve on my own counting inches ability.

The taxidermist and I put a tape on him this afternoon when I dropped off the cape (I give him every cape off every animal I can salvage). Gross scores below.

Length - 12 6/8
Prong - 4 2/8
C1 - 6 0/8
C2 - 6 2/8
C3 - 4 4/8
C4 - 3 4/8

37 2/8 x 2 = 74 4/8

The best part of all is shown below. Grilled fresh antelope tenderloins.
IMG_1751-001.JPG

I don't have too much to add to the story that Randy hasn't already shared.

As I made my way up to meet him on Friday night, we spoke just before he found the buck he ended up killing. I couldn't believe it when Randy told me he covered the bulk of the ranch he had been assigned to and he hadn't seen even an antelope track! Another curve thrown at us was the recommendation not to camp in the area due to theft concerns. This added a 45 minute drive each way to the hunt area as we had to stay in a hotel quite a ways up the highway, not to mention a major change to the menu after Randy bought a truckload of food for camp and I brought my typical cans of chili and power bars.

Regardless of the difficulties, we put our time and boot leather into the equation and ended up successful. I can't imagine being a first time or youth antelope hunter in this unit, as Randy stated, there really shouldn't even be a hunt in here anyway. There is no doubt we found the best buck on the ranch and everything came together for a clean kill. I think the episode is gonna be a good one.

It's always fun to meet up with friends and share a hunt. This was no exception and I appreciate Randy letting me tag along. Now I can't wait to get after elk in WY in five weeks!

Nice looking buck, especially given the apparent circumstances.

The way the NM pronghorn draw works is just seems so crazy

As usual, great write up Randy! You, Spitz and Brad really left some shoe rubber and blood in NM. Can't wait to see this episode aired next year. Congratulations on a beautiful buck.

Congrats Fin. I'm glad that hunting is still hunting and you're willing to show it. I think I'm just 1 of a big majority who appreciate you telling it like it is!

Are you gonna put a plaque under his mount naming him Buzz or something else to remind you of your trip to the moon? ;)

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Sounds like you did very well all things considered. Heck, he looks like a great buck to me and the kill photo is so good I almost felt like I could smell him. ;) I think I miss antelope hunting a lot with this being an off year for me!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back