NM pronghorn hunt

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I was one of two non-guided no-residents who lucked out and drew the rifle antelope hunt for the hunt code that includes Units 12 and 13. Anyone who hunts NM antelope knows some big bucks live in those units. When I drew, I was lickin' my chops.

Ranch assignments put me on the Badger Buttes Public Ranch. It totals 64,000 acres and there would only be four hunters on this ranch. That is really good. That many acres, with that little hunting pressure seemed like the perfect combination for a big buck.

In my research, I talked to some folks familiar with the area. They all told me I should politic for a different ranch assignment. I kind of shrugged it off.

I talked to an outfitter who had a client on the ranch last year. He told me they should not be issuing tags for that ranch, given how bad of shape it was in. I still was unphased.

After we filmed the AZ antelope hunt with Jereep, I drove over to ABQ to drop off my truck and fly back to MT. Having a little time to spare, I drove by the north end of the unit in hopes a few hours of snooping around could dispel the rumors I had heard of this unit.

I almost wished I had not taken the detour. The exit off the interstate is to the town of "Las Lunas," which Spitz tells me is Spanish for "The Moon." Given the bleak landscape, completely void of vegetation, I could not think of a more appropriate sign at the exit.

This was prior to the big monsoons of mid-September. It was hard to believe a mouse could live on that property. When we arrived on Friday for a day of scouting, it was actually green, thanks to ten inches of rain. But, two years of record drought was not going to change the pronghorn situation.

The plan was for me to scout all day and Spitz would meet us that evening. By noon, Brad and I were out on the grounds, snooping around. We glassed until our eyes hurt and spent considerable time (and gas) trying to figure out how we were going to hunt the west side of the ranch, as a huge arroyo split the property into two distinct units and there was no way I was driving my Titan across that new canyon formed by the washed out roads that provided access prior to this year's record monsoons.

We saw nothing. Burned a tank of gas. Dropped the front right tire into a deep washout that caved in when I drove over the small crust of remaining dirt that hid the channel underneath. Thankfully only one tire dropped in and bottomed out, or we may still be in the back corner of that ranch.

With only an hour left in the scouting day, and not having seen a track, let alone an actual antelope, my finger was on the panic button. I drove to a place where I had coverage and called Spitz to see where he was at. He was almost to the ranch. I told him not to beat up his truck getting in here, rather I would glass for a little while longer and meet him out on the asphalt, ten miles away.

About five minutes after reporting out complete strike out to Spitz, I actually saw an antelope track crossing the road. Wow, there is at least one antelope out here.

I told Brad we would drive up the road into this little basin and glass around. As I crossed another big dried out mud flat, I could see a few more tracks. I stopped the truck and got out the spotter. In about two minutes, I was looking at the maker of these tracks. A buck and his eight does were grazing at the back end of the basin. I dared not get any closer than this mile away, as I did not want to scare the only antelope on the ranch. So, I spent the rest of the evening watching them, but in the fading light, could not get a very good gauge of the buck.

On our way out, an outfitter saw me checking a water tank for tracks. A very nice guy. He spent a lot of time telling us what he had seen and how he guides this area a lot for elk, not living very far away. He said if they saw a buck over 70", he would tell his client to shoot.

I told him the biologist told me there are good bucks in here. He started to chuckle. He said he spends every week there in August and September and the 64,000 acres usually holds 35 to 45 antelope, split into four or five groups. I'm thinking he is trying to fake me out, but given how hard I scouted today and found only one group, maybe he was giving me the straight line.

It was dark and I headed out to meet with Spitz. I think Spitz thought I must be jerking his chain when I told him how bad it was.

Not what I expected from a NM antelope hunt. Of all the good ranches in Unit 13, I am at a loss as to how I got assigned to this one. As lucky as I was to draw one of the two tags, my luck was just the opposite to get assigned the ranch.

There are only six assigned non-resident hunters (4 guided and 2 non-guided) on this entire hunt, and I know of two of us that got assigned to this wasteland.

I would be remiss to not provide this warning - DO NOT APPLY FOR THE RIFLE HUNT IN UNITS 7, 9, 12, and 13. IT WAS CODE ANT-1-101 THIS YEAR. You may get a good ranch, but you might get this one.

But, as a pronghorn hunter, if I have a tag, I am going to do all I can to make the most of it. Too much fun to hunt them to not be excited, even if the scouting day was a bust.

Randy, I had a similarly poor ranch assignment on my New Mexico antelope hunt. Except my ranch was only about 3,000 acres and didn't have any antelope on it.

I was told that if I called the local game warden in the area up after the first day if I hadn't seen a legal buck on the ranch I was assigned to (anything over 6" or something like that) that they would reassign me to a different ranch.

I called at the end of the first day to get reassigned, but the only ranch they would reassign me to was one that was even smaller and I very quickly went and scouted it that evening and talked with the ranch owner and he said there weren't any antelope on his place either so I just kept my tag for the ranch I was originally assigned to and struck out.

Pretty hard to deal with when there were antelope all around me in the unit on public land, just none on the ranch I was assigned to. But that's how they do it in New Mexico with the ranch assignments.

Check your tag and see if it is a unit wide tag or a ranch only tag. If it is a unit wide tag you might be able to politic your way onto another ranch.

Good luck. Nathan

Dang computer just crapped out and I lost about forty-five minutes of typing. Damn it!

Will plug it in and see if I can tell this story in fewer words.

Highlights:

Find the herd next morning. Spitz sees a smaller buck get run off by the herd buck. Mile hike to get closer. At 400 yards we can see good mass, but that’s his best trait. Stumble into the smaller buck that got run off. Have a shot at 50 yards, but too early to shoot, even on a 3-day hunt.

Hike for about three more miles. One little buck that follows like he wants to come home with us. I don’t blame him.

Leave this buck, even though I worry other hunters might shoot him. Oh well, first day means he has to be “Shoot now” big, before I will pull the trigger.

Drive and glass. Drive and glass. Gain elevation and glass. Glass and glass. Nothing, zilch, zero.

Decide to hunt a big tall mesa. They are nowhere else, so maybe there. Outfitter comes out from other side of ranch, having used a side-by-side to cross the big wash. They have a buck. 12” and missing a prong. I don’t blame him, given how bleak this looks. He knew of this buck and the group from his elk scouting. He tells us what he saw that morning – not much (and he has spent the last month out here with elk hunters).

Climb the mesa. Hike for 1.5 miles and climb a big rock pile. Glass and glass. Nothing. Decide to hike 1.5 miles to lee side of mesa and see if strong wind has pushed them into this bigger basin.

Four does pin us down as we get there. They leave. Keep moving. In the basin is skinny buck (pencil-type skinny) chasing a doe with four sub-10” bucks watching. One other doe.

Pass on him as light fades. Hike two miles back across mesa, tripping and stumbling over lava rocks.

One day down and two to go.

That night, Spitz and I set our benchmark to something other than score. More like, “Let’s see if we can find the biggest buck on the ranch and kill him, regardless of size.” Given outfitter recommended any buck over 70” to be a really good buck for here, we knew we had found one that would exceed that, assuming some other hunter had not shot him when we left him opening morning.

So, we head out again to the basin where I had found them while scouting and relocated them opening morning. We glass for about an hour. Nothing, other than a 5” buck who wants us to give him a ride to somewhere that an antelope can live. He follows us like a dog.

We drive up a ridge and hide the truck in a wash. Then plan on a long hike around the entire basin, thinking if they were here the previous two days, they would not be far away. In short order, we stumble across a doe and two really small bucks chasing her. She beds and we move away to not spook them, in the event the herd is somewhere nearby.

We get up on a mesa that allows us to see the entire basin. 600 yards below is a buck all by himself. He is acting rutty. He is not the buck from opening morning, but is probably the second biggest buck on the ranch. Still not sure he will make 70”. Actually, pretty sure he wouldn’t.

We take cover in the shade of a PJ and Brad says he see four antelope way across the basin. Yup, a buck and three does. Spitz puts the spotter on them and we start our inspection. Whew, no other hunter had found him and shot him.

“Please, bed down. It is 11:00am. You need to get in your day bed so I can stalk you and shoot you. Haven’t you read the script?” Those are the thoughts going through my mind.

I glass him as he ruts these does. Two of them bed down. I pull away and ponder what I should do. Spitz looks at me. I see he is thinking exactly what I am thinking – “If I walk away from this buck twice, I am dumber than I look.”

If there is a bigger buck on this ranch, we have not seen him. Nor has the outfitter seen him. I suspect he is the biggest buck around and if all goes well, the appropriate term would be “was the biggest buck around,” not “IS.”

Let’s go. I mark a big ridge above them at 1.6 miles from our location. In a little more than an hour, we are on the shoulder of that ridge with enough elevation than I can see them below at 400 yards. We take a mark and move down into the sparse PJ flat they are using for their rutting area.

The wind is perfect. Brad has the tripod and camera ready. We get to a small rise where I might be able to glimpse them. They are up and feeding down and to our left. I circle back around and find an opening I think they will feed in to.

I sit with some PJs blocking me from their view, based on angle they were feeding from. I don’t like the setup, but it is probably the best we have. Brad and I sit at the ready. Range would be about 250.

Spitz moves right, knowing he will see them if they move back to their original location. Nothing. I suggest Spitz move over behind some PJs to our left, hopefully giving him a view around the trees I have set up in.

As I sit ready, Spitz is snapping his fingers. I look and he gives the universal “There they are and get your butt over here” look. Brad and I pull up and circle left around these few trees. I see the does down and in front of the trees I had hidden us in.

Brad and I get set up. Spitz is on the spotter. He confirms it is the buck we want. We are ranging all objects. Varies from 210 to 250, depending upon where they feed to when they leave this drought-killed cholla forest they are grazing in.

I tell Brad I have to move forward, as some grass is messing up my shot angle. When they all have their heads down, I move out from the shade of the PJ and reluctantly plop down in a sun-drenched, but clear shooting lane.

The lead doe is taking her up this gentle slope, closer to our position. Then, they turn hard, taking them to our left and into more brush. The buck quickly moves over to cut them off from getting too far to our left.

The does come back across my shooting lane. Range is 217 yards. They stop and feed in my shooting lane, before moving more to the right, back to the dead chollas they seem so fond of. I am wishing the buck would stop in that same opening.

I don’t have to wish for long. He stops, as if he read the script. He leans his front legs forward to urinate in a scrape. I ask Brad if all is ready.

Brad says, “All clear.”

Immediately, Mr. Howa says “Bang.”

As the buck runs off toward does hidden behind the PJs, Fin says, “Dead buck.”

Spitz says, “I heard that hit.”

Buck comes back in view, does a big summersault and then face plants into a cactus. Yup. He’s done.

Excellent footage. Perfect stalk. Perfect shot. Great assist from Brad and Spitz. Thanks guys.

We were super happy. In fact, I am not sure I have ever been so pleased to shoot such an average animal. Or, at least average when measured by standards of the species and not standards of what was available for us. I think it will make a great episode. Not for how big the buck is, but for the context in what people will see. When they see us hiking 10+ miles looking for antelope. When they see us backpack hunting for the only decent buck we think is on the ranch.

Not a huge buck, by any stretch. Yet, the biggest buck we saw, by a large margin. Almost feel stupid for leaving him the first morning and exposing to the risk another hunter would walk in this basin and kill him before I returned.

IMG_1738-001.JPG

Will provide more details tomorrow. Just drove 900 miles today and too tired to type much more.

Very nice and good story. I think this will make for a great episode. I know anytime I've drawn tags I dream of all-time B&C critters, but sometimes that's not even an option. You made the best of what you had to work with.

Congrats Randy, for making the most out of a bad situation. This happens all too often in New Mexico. The ranch assignments are a crap-shoot, the season is ridiculously short, and you never know when you're going to have to figh the landowner for the same hunting rights as the guys that bought tags from him. Living here, I'd still rather hunt Wyoming.

Congrats Randy, sounds like a tough hunt but a good one. Plus, you know some people say size doesn't matter.

Who gives a rip about pronghorn scores, that is a cool looking buck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back