MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NM Pecos Rocky Mountain Bighorn Tag!!!

drthornton

I friend of mine got extremely lucky in the NM draw and pulled a Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag for the Pecos Mountains 1st season. He is beside himself with excitement to say the least.

He is a NM resident, Hobbs police officer and a heck of a nice guy. He helped me with intel on a Pronghorn hunt a few years ago and I'd like to return the favor.

He wants to do this hunt DIY and has already lined up livestock to get deep into the Wilderness. He realizes this is a hunt of a lifetime and wants to go in with all the info he can. He also realizes that drawing the first hunt he is in a unique position to kill the biggest ram in that herd. He is also planning at least 1 scout trip.

I know there are allot of Sheep guys on Hunt Talk so I am asking to glean as much info from you on the general nature of Sheep Hunting and hopefully even get some contacts to run plans past who have drawn that tag before.

He does not stalk forum boards much but I am going to get him to join so he can learn first hand and you guys can follow the progress of the hunt.

Thank You
Danny

Danny, I am not saying he will help out for sure but a buddy of mine probably more info on those sheep than anyone as he hauls salt up there for them every year and they know him as the friendly guy with the white hat that brings them treats. He has also worked with the transplants as a Vet and I posted a recent video of his work with lope catches. His handle here is Zia, give him a PM and see what he says. He is a stand up guy for sure. Tell them Pat told you to ask.

Last edited:
My buddy got back from his first scout trip. With the intel he got, finding sheep was not hard. He is going back next month to scout more.

He has also decided to try get it done with his bow. He got within 50 yards of a Ram and did a mock draw. The Ram never flinched. His brother captured it on video. If I can figure how to post a QT video I'll put it up.

For you Sheep guys. Can you give me a ballpark of what these rams would score?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 589
Just guessing the older front sheep at around 9 years in the 170's, the younger back ram 160's. Tell your friend ( he called me but I don't have his number) there are a dozen class 4 rams hanging out around where I made a loop horseback. They might not stay there all September but its a good start. Some lion killed sheep too.

Last edited:
My buddy was successful on his Ram yesterday. Haven't heard the whole story yet.

Thanks to Zia for his help

Attachments

• Chad's Sheep 1.jpg
    Chad's Sheep 1.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 415
  • Chad's Sheep 2.jpg
    Chad's Sheep 2.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 414
Wow, awesome!
Pretty neat how people are willing to help guys they know only by 'handle'.
Thanks once again Hunttalk and its great members...

Nice ram! Is that a bullet hole through the base of the horn?

State Biologist scored him at 166. I asked him the same thing about the horn. He thought it was the shot but the angles didn't line up. The biologist said she had seen this before from the nasty falls.

I should also note this was a complete DIY hunt.

Attachments

• Chad Sheep 3.jpg
    Chad Sheep 3.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Chad Sheep 4.jpg
    Chad Sheep 4.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 391
  • Chad Sheep 5.jpg
    Chad Sheep 5.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 389
  • Chad Sheep 6.jpg
    Chad Sheep 6.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 389
Cool!!!! good to see a guy do it OYOA style! With a little help of intel from super guys like Zia!

thats great!! I know that spot, one of my favorite views on our trips,wonderful choice! Glad to help a fellow hunter, that's what we should do. I am so HAPPY for Chad!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back