Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NM Mulle Deer

whitehawk

Good morning all,
We have put in for GMU 32 and 33,Roswell and Artesia area. It will be our first time in one of these units. Last year we were in unit 30, mountainous terrain. 32 and 33 are the low lands, any info on how to hunt these areas from those of you that have been there before would be great.
Thanks

Lots of walking is my method. A lot of areas really don't have any high ground where you can do much glassing so you end up covering a lot of ground. Not unusual to cover 10 or 12 miles a day for me in the sand hills. Have a good GPS/Map setup that will allow you to see all the public land and hunt it. Use the wind to your advantage and cover some ground.

I've hunted Unit 31 the last 2 years and both of my deer were shot at under 100 yards. On one of them I saw it from a long way off and stalked up on it, but on the other one we saw each other at about the same time and it was a quick draw contest and I won.

Some really nice deer in that area, this will be the last year with good drawing odds for nonresidents in New Mexico for a while anyway so make the most of it this year if you draw.

Npaden, What are the changes NM will have for nonresidents?
I havent heard anything. Can you give me some info?
Thanks

Nonguided Nonresidents are going to go from being allocated 10% of the tags to only 6% of the tags.

The big hurt on those eastern New Mexico mule deer units is that previously if there weren't enough applicants in the guided pool, they slid over and were allocated to the Nonguided Nonresident pool. Now they are going to go over to the resident pool. Unit 31 had zero applicants in the guided pool in 2010.

So for unit 31 nonguided nonresident it is going to go from 22% of the total tags to just 6% of the total tags. The drawing odds on the hunt code I apply for are going to go from close to 40% to right around 10% if the same number of folks apply.

The other difference is that you have to buy a $65 license in order to apply in addition to any application fees so that may or may not drop a few folks out.

Do some searches on any of the forums, it was a pretty big deal.

I hunted unit 33 last year and shot a 170 class deer. But missed a 180+
The way I hunted the unit was to get the wind in my face(and there was a lot of that) and walk and glass out ahead of me several hundred yards. Lood under anything that will put off a little shade during mid day. I saw a ton of deer out there

We've killed several 190" bucks and one 200" buck just east of there in Texas, but same type of country. I get on the highest spot I can find and work over the area with my spotter, then try to figure it out from there. We wear out our optics, sometimes sitting in a place for hours because, as you know, a buck out there can take a step or two and be in sight, or out of sight. We've had zero luck around water holes that time of year.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dfair2798
Back