Yeti GOBOX Collection

NM Mule Deer Help

Kyhunter42

I'm putting in for NM again this year. What are some good units to put in for that I might have a reasonable chance of drawing? I've hunted 16b and 36 in previous years. Both of those hunts were blackpowder. I've always applied for 2b, but as a nonresident I don't have much getting that one. Any help would be appriciated.

Whatever unit is home to the Black Range, on the east side of the Gila Wilderness. Look for the towns of Winston and Chloride. I don't honestly know the odds of gatting a tag but if you draw it's about the best place in NM to kill a big muley. The odds are really slim but the bucks run huge so you might as well apply for the Oscura tag too, while you're at it.

Good luck

I believe that is Unit 16. We hunted the Gila Wilderness area and Black mountain in 2000. We saw a lot of monster elk and black bear, but very little mule deer. We saw a lot of mule deer sign. That was actually my first time hunting mule deer, so I didn't really know what I was doing. We hunted early muzzleloader with OTC tags. Had a great experience for a DIY hunt.

maybe i just got lucky but i drew unit 2b muzz this year,never put in for new mexico before till now.if anybody out there has any info on this unit in september{pre-migration} would like to hear from you.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back