NM Merriams

rebelmdb

Was looking into expanding a little further west during turkey season and trying for a Merriam. Looking North Central, are they as vocal as Rio's? Looking more for advice on how to hunt them in the mountains since most of my turkeys come from a creek bottom or a pasture here in OK.

They can be quite vocal. What I've found hunting turkey in the mountains of NM is they're much lower density than I was used to hunting them elsewhere. Some days you might not hear any. Some days you might work one or two birds. I tend to find them in singles or pairs rather than in flocks.

I'm still a novice at turkey hunting, but have shot a few Merriams. My experience is that it's closer to elk hunting, they are certainly up in the mountains where the elk are. I cover a lot of ground looking for birds or sign. Some years they follow the snow line up the mountains as it melts. Dandelions, acorns, and Pinon are some of there favorite foods.

The are vocal, but I've never hunted other turkeys so I have nothing to compare with. I sometimes hear they are easier to call in vs other subspecies, but I've only managed to do that successfully a couple of times, with many failures. I've shot a few by just being at the right place and time, or by covering ground and catching them off guard feeding or resting. If you substituted "turkey" with "elk" the results are similar 😃.

Was looking into expanding a little further west during turkey season and trying for a Merriam. Looking North Central, are they as vocal as Rio's? Looking more for advice on how to hunt them in the mountains since most of my turkeys come from a creek bottom or a pasture here in OK.
I'm not by any stretch a great turkey hunter but in the mts follow the snow line. The birds tend to move up as as the snow line moves up into the Sangres. Just my observation.

In the Gila last fall we had a flock of 200 birds around Thanksgiving week. It was quite a sight. Probably between 7600 and 8600 feet.

Awesome thank you guys! This helps alot and gives me some ideas. I am used to being able to go somewhere and within a day or so. Sounds like a good time

In the Gila last fall we had a flock of 200 birds around Thanksgiving week. It was quite a sight. Probably between 7600 and 8600 feet.
Yeah I've seen some huge flocks in the Fall, but I'm not sure I've ever seen more than 10 together in the spring, and usually less than 5. I'll see if I can dig up a video of 50+ gobblers, might take a few days since I'm out of town.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back