New to the site, need some help.

Whitetailhunter96

Can someone explain how I can find maps of public land using this website? I saw it on the TV show... I want to find public land in Ohio. I'm down here in NC, and where I live there are some pretty nice bucks, I got me a nice 8 pointer this year myself, and the rut is still in strong... but I would like to plan a trip to Ohio since its not too far and has some monster whitetail. So, can anybody help me out here?

I don't think you'll find much information about Ohio on this sight, as we're more geared towards Western hunting. But, I have a question to pose to you..... Why pay the money and put the effort in to hunting something you can hunt in your own back yard? Why not come out west to Wyoming and hunt an antelope or to Colorado to hunt elk on over the counter tags? Get something you can't get back home and have a hell of a good time....and have a trophy for your wall that your friends will be jealous of back home.... If you decide to hunt out west, this sight has alot of great information, and alot of guys are pretty helpful to guys that are willing to put some time and effort into their own research. Happy hunting!!

Last edited:
I don't think you'll find much information about Ohio on this sight, as we're more gathered towards Western hutning. But, I have a question to pose to you..... Why pay the money and put the effort in to hunting something you can hunt in your own back yard? Why not come out west to Wyoming and hunt an antelope or to Colorado to hunt elk? Get something you can't get back home and have a hell of a good time....and have a trophy for your wall that your friends will be jealous of back home.... If you decide to hunt out west, this sight has alot of great information, and alot of guys are pretty helpful to guys that are willing to put some time and effort into their own research. Happy hunting!!

Id have to agree with John.

Might be tough to find a lot on hunting back there. If you go to the Resources tab above, you can then click on Ohio and it will take you to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources website. There you can find maps for the numerous wildlife areas throughout the state. The only national forest in Ohio is the Wayne NF. You can Google it and find the website, and you can get maps here: http://www.fs.fed.us/maps/forest-maps.shtml

Thanks guys... appreciate it. I do need to hunt some other species, I'm working towards my super 10 right now.
I've got the deer down.
Left are goat, mountain lion, any sheep species, any elk species, any moose species, any caribou species, any bear species, a bison or muskox, or an antelope.
Any suggestions?

And for hunting out west, where can I find that great advice you mentioned? I'd love to head out midwest to kansas or nebraska or iowa or missouri or somewhere around there.

The big thing about western hunting is the amount of public land available, mostly national forest and BUreau of Land Management. The maps help you access that land. Good luck.

Drive a little further west and hit Wyoming for antelope...they outnumber people out there and you can pick up tags OTC and leftovers. The draw for Wyoming is pretty easy to apply for and there is alot of public land.

Over the counter tags are ones available to the general public that you don't have to apply for a draw to get. You can go to Wal Mart or a sporting goods store, or even order them online. Left over tags are similar...available tags that are leftover after the drawing process and avaliable as a first come first served to the general public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back