Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New to Hunting Elk

Huntforadventure

Hello All,

I am a hunter from the eastern US. I have enjoyed hunting Whitetail, Turkeys, ducks, and other small game in upstate NY for the past 12 years or so. I have reached a point where i would like to try some new adventures. I would like to travel west to enjoy the extreme challenge and (hopefully) sense of satisfaction associated with backcountry mountain hunting. I am excited and nervous to undertake this adventure. I am looking at either Montana or Colorado, due the the possibilities of OTC tags and from conversations with others who have hunted elk. I am nervous about finding locations to hunt from so far away without actually being there to scout the areas before applying for tags. I was hoping a few people could provide me with advice for locations and units to hunt public land.

In doing my research I have heard a lot about preparing physically for the mountain hunts, this would be the one thing I am able to handle and prepare for myself. My weakest area would be logistics and information. Any help with these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your consideration and advice.

-Kevin

Hi Kevin, Good for you to venture out. Nothing like the backcountry! I reside in Ca. We have very limited elk hunting here, and I haven't drawn a tag in 30yrs. When I started elk hunting in Idaho, along with studying the regs. to see what time of year the hunts would coincide with my time off, I spoke to game biologists. They were very helpful in putting me in an area that fitted my hunting "style". I realize you are alot further away, but once I narrowed down my area to hunt, I also took a weekend and a day to fly out, rent a vehicle, and do a quick scout of the area. I didn't get into the backcountry, but I was able scan the mtns a bit. Do you bowhunt or rifle?
~Mark

Mark,

I Hunt both rifle and bow for whitetail. I would be open to either for elk, for the first time i would shoot for whichever gave me the best opportunity.
How do you contact the game biologists?

While I think it's priced a bit high, you should check out elk101.com. it's a good starting place and designed for guys who have never chased elk.

I suggest a guided hunt unless are going to make the adventure with one or more hunters that have previously killed an elk. The learning curve is brutal for a new species and then consider is a new terrain as well. Team up with prior successful hunters or hire a guide. Some of the hunts where bulls are 260"-280" range are more affordable. CO, MT, ID and NM would be options for elk. Of those, I would lean towards MT as has longer seasons though CO may be a shorter drive from East Coast.

If you are not willing to do guided and will not have a previously successful elk hunter along then would suggest you buy a membership in Huntin Fool so that once you have tag in hand then you can request some names of HF members that hunted that same tag in a previous year. Sometimes HF does not have names or the tag is so easy to get that prior hunters are going back again so are not willing to share much info. You can ask whether there was cell phone reception, gas stations near by, etc.

You can also use Google to search on the tag you are getting and once in a while find a recap about a previous hunt that gives you some intel re where the elk were then. You can ask on here though is a lot of land out West and may not find anyone who has hunted elk where you are headed.

Back