New to elk hunting looking for advice

redduck

Hello Everyone,

I just got the green light from my wife to go on a 2018 elk season. I want to make the most out of this hunt. I live in Los Angeles, and the closer the better. I am thinking of trying to apply or get an elk OTC tag for Arizona that way I can hunt upland and maybe get a otc mule deer tag plus AZ is not too far from Los Angeles. I am also thinking about Oregon and Colorado but leaning toward AZ. This is what I want to know? I have some time until the 2018 elk season and I just want to start planing.

1. Which state has the best OTC tag "I think its Colorado"
2. Which state would be good for a new elk hunter?

Their are a lot of pros for hunting Arizona, but I want to hunt the state that would give me the best adventure for the money. Thank you everyone in advance for any information you can provide me.
Best,
Redduck

AZ does not have OTC elk tags. There are OTC archery deer and javelina tags. All other big game tags are on draw. If you look carefully when the 2018 season regs come out you may find some units with fair odds for cow elk. I'd check out "GoHunt.com". They will have the best info on AZ draw odds. FWIW. GJ

Watch Randy's videos on the elk draw/pts systems in each state on YouTube..they are a wealth of knowledge and do a great job of explaining state by state. He also has some great podcasts specifically addressing these issues with both short and long term plans. Gohunt and elk101 are also tremendous resources for someone new getting started.

Colorado would be your best bet in my opinion. There are some great OTC units in the western part of the state, for archery hunting anyway. I'm not as familiar with the regulations for rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back