Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New to AZ Hunting

Bonly29

I've been lurking in this forum for a few weeks now and have been reading all up on the adventures of everyone here. I am in the process of Purchasing a bow for hunting purposes and would love to go out next fall. up until i turned 18 i used to go camping and hiking all the time, and well because of work and family i have not allowed myself that luxury in a long time. I figured it's about time to do so. i have spent the last 2-3 months doing all sorts of research on the topics involving hunting. It would really help me out at this point to pick the brains of some experienced hunters.
I picked archery hunting for the challenge. i was wondering if anyone here has hunted with any Obsession bows, especially any of the 2019 line?

My Goal is to bring home some venison next fall. Mule, white tail, even Elk would be awesome. Next fall though i plan on sticking to OTC tags. Any advice from local hunters or experienced hunters in AZ would be very well appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome from AZ! New to hunting myself, so I can't be much help - but in the 5 days I've been a member I've already gotten some great advice.

Welcome from AZ as well! I don't have any 1st hand information on Obsession bows as I have messed with them before, although I have a buddy back in NY that picked one up after I had already moved out west, and he loves it, but it was his first bow, so nothing to compare it to. Looking on their site, there are 3 dealers within 100 miles of me (Tempe), one being Bear Mountain in Mesa, which I've driven past 50 times, but have yet to stop in, the other 2 are in Wickenburg and Safford. I'd suggest going around the valley (I see you're in Mesa) and checking out as many brands/models as possible to see what you like/don't like. Archery Headquarters in Chandler, Timber Mesa in Mesa and Ross Outdoors in Phoenix would all be good semi-local options to go check out

Welcome! I am in AZ as well. OTC deer starts in December & January. You'll want the best glass you can afford. I know a lot of guys back east that shoot obesssion bows and love them. Feel free to message me if you want someone to go with. I live in the valley.

Put in for archery javelina and you can hunt javelina and deer in January. Deadline is in a week, I think the 8th off the top of my head.

Put in for archery javelina and you can hunt javelina and deer in January. Deadline is in a week, I think the 8th off the top of my head.
dont have the bow yet and im planning on making that purchase next spring. how is javalina meat anyway? ive thought about hunting javalina but i've heard not edible from some people

It's good but can be tough so cook it slow. Backstrap is great just seasoned and tossed on grill. It is good for summer sausage as well.

Key is being careful when you clean it. I wear gloves changing them several times. NEVER touch the hide and then the meat. Keep all hair off the meat. If you go slow skinning it, you won't bust the scent gland and all is good. I think it's like most things, if you don't handle it properly, you will have trouble. It's not elk meat but it is good if cooked right (stew, summer sausage, etc.)

I like Javelina, but folks say antelope and Canada goose aren’t worth eating either, and I enjoy both, so maybe I’m one of the oddballs.

Welcome, Closing day is the 8th in AZ. I'm new to hunting as well. Lmk how bowhunting goes. I have a bow I'm practicing with and plan on javelina for my first bow hunt. Seems like calling them close enough for a shot opportunity is more achievable than a deer when starting off. Not first hand advice but something I've read. Good luck!

Welcome, Closing day is the 8th in AZ. I'm new to hunting as well. Lmk how bowhunting goes. I have a bow I'm practicing with and plan on javelina for my first bow hunt. Seems like calling them close enough for a shot opportunity is more achievable than a deer when starting off. Not first hand advice but something I've read. Good luck!

Calling can work, but I think it works better when used like calling fall turkeys back east. If you bust them first, then slam on the call, it can work well to bring them back. Spot and stalk or still hunting in a wash seems to work better for Plan A, for me anyway, with calling as an immediate Plan B

Calling can work, but I think it works better when used like calling fall turkeys back east. If you bust them first, then slam on the call, it can work well to bring them back. Spot and stalk or still hunting in a wash seems to work better for Plan A, for me anyway, with calling as an immediate Plan B
Good advice! Thank you

Back