Caribou Gear Tarp

New sheep rifle?

Bambistew

So I'm thinking of picking up a Kimber Montana 7-08 and reaming it to 284... should i be talked out of it and talked into something "better"? I don't mind impractical.

A good reason? We're talking rifles... there's never a good reason is there :D

A little extra umph and the different factor is about it. Was also thinking 6.5 284

I figure I'm not handicapping myself with an easy ream job other than the perverbial lost ammo scenario. I'm a sucker for the 7mms

True enough, good reasons really arent relevant.

As much as I hate admitting it, especially to you, the 7's do work pretty well.:W::D

I'd still probably leave it a 7-08, go m1 ele turret, and forget the extra umph. Take the money I saved and book myself some time in a cub...

If you ream to .284, what work would have to be done to the bolt face/extractor?

Another option is 7-08 AI.

The .284 would give you a little more punch, but I'll bet that the sheep would not know the difference. The 6.5 would be where I would go if I was going to redo the gun anyway. That seems to be a great caliber.

My father in law is a gun nut and is working on a 6.5 right now. I don't know much about guns but he's coming up on Christmas and I will pick his brain about what he's done and likes about it. He also just did a 257 Roberts. I was thinking that would be a great sheep gun as well but you sound like you want a little more umph.

Have you heard of anyone else doing it?

I'd be concerned safety wise about removing much metal off of that action as small as it is already.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge...

After a little more research (while sober this morning), as Randy pointed out the barrel/action diameter is at minimal dimensions for the 308 size cartridges already. Its a no go from the start, as hoop strength at the chamber and action would be an issue. Shame really, the mag box works, a 22" barrel, and the action could be made to feed without issue. IMO the gain would be worth it for a few hundred. I'm fond of the performance of the 280, just wish I could trim a couple pounds off the two I already have.

I'll just stick with a Plane Jane 7-08 unless I can find a Ti for a reasonable price.. Tis the season to be rifle shopping.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge...

After a little more research (while sober this morning), as Randy pointed out the barrel/action diameter is at minimal dimensions for the 308 size cartridges already. Its a no go from the start, as hoop strength at the chamber and action would be an issue. Shame really, the mag box works, a 22" barrel, and the action could be made to feed without issue. IMO the gain would be worth it for a few hundred. I'm fond of the performance of the 280, just wish I could trim a couple pounds off the two I already have.

I'll just stick with a Plane Jane 7-08 unless I can find a Ti for a reasonable price.. Tis the season to be rifle shopping.

Have you thought about the 280AI in 84L? You give up a few ounces with the long action compared to the 84M.

Bambistew,
I'll bring my 7mm-08 up there, you put me on a sheep, I'll shoot it and we can see if you like the
7mm-08. Good plan eh!

I have a better idea, down here in Colorado the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society just received our 2013 raffle guns!!!!! One of the rifles we had built is a light weight .260.

All I have is a pretty picture currently, I lost the email with the specifics and weight. Maybe Oak still has it?

Also just received a Montana Sling to go along with the rifle!

Just $25 a ticket!:D

Attachments

• 260.jpg
    260.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,325

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back