Caribou Gear Tarp

New shed hunting method

npaden

Well, I've heard of other people having success with this method, but this past weekend was my first experience with it. Putting in some fall food plots in some pretty weedy overgrown stuff, I am always on the lookout for sheds running the tractor and have never found one.

This time my tractor found the shed on it's own. The crazy thing is that I don't know where it picked it up. I dropped my disc and was switching over to my broadcast spreader and walking back to the tractor and saw it stuck in the tire.

shed_tire.jpg

It actually took some effort to get it pulled out and I was dreading a huge hiss of escaping air when I did, but the way the tine ended up in the lug it didn't puncture it and no leak! Not sure if you planned it out and tried to place the shed intentionally you could get it to stick that far into the tire without puncturing it. It was at least 3" into the lug. None of the tines were broken either.

Very happy to find the shed, and even happier that it didn't come at the cost of a new tire!

Thought I would share.

Nathan

That type of antler find always resulted in spending the day with my father-in-law changing the tractor tire and learning a new vocabulary!

You should be more careful, you’d be sick if you ruined that antler.

Exactly, I found one a couple years ago in a field that a tractor beat me to, one broken off tine and a big crack in the main beam. Almost made me tear up.

Here on the farm we don't have that problem ......................... because we rarely see deer, especially with headgear.
Nathan, didn't you have a fire go through your place awhile back? If so, how's the recovery been?

The fire was in the spring of 2011 and we've had a pretty significant drought ever since. We got some decent rain in July that have perked things up a bit, but things still haven't bounced back.

Shockingly the deer seem to have come through fine, it has just changed up their patterns and I haven't gotten them figured out yet. They are mostly bedding off my property and only coming through in the night. Working on getting replacement cover has been tough without rain. Maybe I can get some plantings done next spring.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back