Caribou Gear

New Rifle.......

Oh, man, you sure know how to pick them. I was looking at one of the iron/express sight model CZ’s some time ago until I found a clean 60’s vintage Mauser actioned Browning High Power in .270. Had I not stumbled across that rifle, I would very likely have gotten the CZ.

That said, I did purchase a B-14 Ridge in 6.5CM last year. I’ve never fired a CZ, but the Bergara shoots lights out and has a bolt so slick, you will think you’re handling a rifle that costs twice the price. I have handled both rifles and they both ooze quality. I’m not sure what platform the CZ is based off of, but Bergara’s are based off of the Remington 700, so you have options galore to choose from so far as mounts, accessories, upgrades etc.

I’d say go with your gut, you won’t go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
I have a B-14, but it's a Hunter, not a Timber. So it's got the synthetic stock but everything else is the same as what you're looking at with the Timber. It's a real nice gun--smooth cycling, crisp trigger, and a hell of a shooter. I've found several different loads that it will shoot bug holes with. My only complaint is that the barrel is blued, and has to be looked after most closely in weather than a stainless or cerakoted barrel. Those Timbers are slick. Can't speak to the CZ.

I have a CZ 557 Carbine in 30-06. It has the walnut stock and open sights. I did add a scope to it and it has a similar ring mounting system to a Tikka. It's a beautiful, great shooting rifle that I purchased when looking for a traditional wood stock deer rifle to add to my collection. I love it, but it is on the heavy side and doesn't have a detachable magazine. Overall it's a very well put together gun. I'm not sure they make the carbine model anymore though. I've also heard nothing but good from the Bergara.

I will also add that Bergara offers a factory magazine conversion kit if you want to swap out the hinged floor plate. The magazines are slim, compact, and lock into place with a very audible and tactile click. You decrease capacity in the rifle by one round by going with the mags, but for me it was a worthwhile upgrade. With one mag in the rifle, and 3 slim, compact mags stowed in my jacket or vest, I have a very convenient way of carrying around 12 rounds.

I have a B-14, but it's a Hunter, not a Timber. So it's got the synthetic stock but everything else is the same as what you're looking at with the Timber. It's a real nice gun--smooth cycling, crisp trigger, and a hell of a shooter. I've found several different loads that it will shoot bug holes with. My only complaint is that the barrel is blued, and has to be looked after most closely in weather than a stainless or cerakoted barrel. Those Timbers are slick. Can't speak to the CZ.
Similar thoughts/experience with the barrel on mine. Not sure if I got a Friday afternoon bluing job or not but it shoots lights out.

I have a couple of CZ’s. Admittedly, they are the 550 variety, but I can speak to the quality of the guns. Fantastic. I had a 270, but I ripped the bbl off and made a 338-06 out of it. I also have the Safari in 375. Exceptional guns. I’m sure the 557 is equally well made, but more of a 700 style action.

I have a B14 Hunter. My experience is similar as others. It is kinda boring to shoot cuz every load just goes in the same place. Trigger is great and stock is nice and tacky. I'd rather have it stainless or cerakoted but that's not a deal breaker. Can't speak to the CZ.

I saw a timber on sale about a year ago at sportsman’s. Just for fun I asked the guy if I could see one in 6.5 Awesomeness. The the Monte Carlo cheek and the right hand palm swell fit sooooo good. I haven’t been able to talk myself into putting glass on it let alone send a round down the tube. I own CZs and Bergara but I’ve never had a gun just “fit” like this timber stock.

8CFE9CDE-3413-4F41-888F-5A5AA1CDF165.jpeg

74F89D4C-C6F9-448C-A006-3DD73EBC2D11.jpeg09046CB3-1BC2-4B91-8CB3-CD9A6A1535E2.jpegD355ED90-2012-42D4-A61F-8D6725875867.jpegBCC363DD-179B-46C8-9492-8353E93CE591.jpeg22639178-7983-4E59-9F72-F4B09F169AEC.jpegFD5FF74E-5FE7-4138-B4B1-7C2D2DEB04A1.jpeg

I saw a timber on sale about a year ago at sportsman’s. Just for fun I asked the guy if I could see one in 6.5 Awesomeness. The the Monte Carlo cheek and the right hand palm swell fit sooooo good. I haven’t been able to talk myself into putting glass on it let alone send a round down the tube. I own CZs and Bergara but I’ve never had a gun just “fit” like this timber stock.

View attachment 157872

View attachment 157873View attachment 157874View attachment 157875View attachment 157876View attachment 157877View attachment 157878
That’s a good looking gun.

If you’ll ever change it. I’d go Bergara since it’s a 700 clone. If you plan to leave it as is, I would lean CZ. They make EXCELLENT rifles. I’d put them with Sako/Tikka.

Im sure you’ll be happy with either one.

Last edited:
CZ's are bomb proof. My only gripe about the 557 is the stock is way to chunky/thick.

Similar thoughts/experience with the barrel on mine. Not sure if I got a Friday afternoon bluing job or not but it shoots lights out.
The blue job on my B14 Hunter is also garbage. I had it cerakoted and it's all good now but pretty disappointing from the factory

The blue job on my B14 Hunter is also garbage. I had it cerakoted and it's all good now but pretty disappointing from the factory

The blueing on my B14 Hunter is also not so great. Granted I don’t take super good care of it like I should. I take it everywhere and she always shoots great.

Is there a chance that cerakoting a rifle effects accuracy?

Back