New rifle? New caliber?

Another vote for the 30-06. I load 125gr varmint rounds, 130 grain TTSX deer loads for my wife, 180 Acubonds for elk, the 110 HP makes a fun plinker and the new 200 or 220gr ELD x would be a game ender for any of the bigger badder critters at decent ranges. Over the years I've enjoyed loading lots of various weights and getting them to shoot out to 300 together.

I killed a lot of animals with a Browning A-Bolt in .270. I now have an X-Bolt in 7MM Remington Magnum. It will kill elk at ranges farther than I can shoot but I'm good out to 700 yards under proper conditions. As much as I loved my .270, all the rifle elk I killed came with my A-Bolt in .338 Winchester Magnum. Elk are tough critters that have the ability to go into some really nasty places even with a bullet through both lungs. I like to break a shoulder on the way through or both if possible and I never felt like my .270 was up to that task but the 7MM RM is and the .338 WM is absolutely devastating. Might want to consider a .338 WM for hunting in AK. I know a lot of residents like to carry one if they will be hunting in brown bear country. Whatever cartridge you choose, you may want to shoulder a Browning to see if you like the feel. I've owned many and I was able to find a factory load that would shoot sub-MOA for each. I would also recommend a Stainless Stalker or the newer Hells Canyon Speed. The HCS is equipped with a muzzle brake and so will accept a standard thread suppressor. Also has a Cerakote finish. Comes in 7MM-08, .270 and 7MM RM as well as several other cartridges.

Oh Man, you're a prime for a 338 Fed ! 160's @ 2900-3000...200's @ 2600...210's @ 2500+ ! Not a aminal in AK you will need to bow to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back