Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Rifle Idea

So im thinking of a lighter rifle caliber and weight wise and im thinking of getting this rifle the Ruger American predator in the 6.5 creedmore, what do you guys think? Do you think I would be happy with it? http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/models.html
Also has anybody had any experience with these rifles yet? I cant really buy a super spendy gun but thought this would make a decent rifle for what I need.

I bought my wife and step daughter Ruger Americans in .308 and they are awesome rifles for the price point. They a very accurate, have a good trigger, and shoot factory Federal Fusion ammo very well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the calibers in the series.

Do you reload? Ammo seems to be pretty scarce, and alot of what is available seems to be match grade ammo rather than hunting ammo. I say great choice on the rifle, especially if you are on a budget, bad choice on the caliber. For hunting applications, I don't see any advantage over a 260 or 7mm-08, or even better a 270. If your on a budget go for something readily available.

I've been kicking around the idea of the same rifle model in 22-250. I have a friend who bought a Ruger American in 30-06, he was so impressed with its' accuracy with several loads and its' trigger that he bought another in 7mm-08 for his wife. The second one he said does not feel near as good on the trigger and it doesn't group near as well, obviously they're two different calibers, but if you get the chance you may want to dry-fire a couple and see if the trigger varies from gun to gun. In the Predator models I think 6.5 would be a great choice, but I do reload.

I just bought my wife a Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08 with a Nikon scope. It shoots excellent. She likes it a lot more then her Remington that HAS BEEN ON RECALL FOR 4 MONTHS.

I bought my three oldest boys the Anerican for Xmas last year. One compact in .308 and two standards in .270 and 30-06. The worst group we got out of the three was 1.25 and best was .65 all with factory ammo. The compact in.308 is my favorite tree stand gun. IMO it's the best firearm deal ever. I paid $329 each for them. They aren't beautiful and if you're not careful after use in a rain they rust very, very quickly but they shoot and they work.

I like the Predator and the 6.5 Creed. That said, if you don't reload I'd suggest the .243 Win instead. It too is twisted correctly to use many of the high BC bullets now available.

If you do some searching on forums, you will see some of the problems associated with the 6.5s. It is a great caliber, BUT factory ammo can be spotty and it can be a nightmare to get to shoot. One that shoots good is awesome, but there are lots of people that spent a lot of money on ammo or components to find a sweet spot.

I would go with the 7-08 or .308 for ammo/component availability and proven track record.

That rifle is on a very short list of factory rifles I'd actually like to have.

i love the 264 cal,,and use a 125 partition as they have a sectional density same as a 308 in 165 gr

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back