Yeti GOBOX Collection

New old hunter

Welcome aboard!
Thanks.

A little about myself. I started out hunting Red Fox early 60's. Late 60's the coyotes moved in. We hunted both canines by spot/stalk method using sight hounds. I hunt the North central plains. Which is mostly open rolling cropland/pastures. I learned the basics of spot/stalk hunting from my Dad & his 2 hunting buds. Then branched off on my own age 16. To refine my spot/stalking skills & make my OWN mistakes. When I was young it was all about the kill. My latter yrs (20+ yrs). I became more interested in wild canine behaviors. Since 2006 I have been hunting for a lion. As their pop has continually grown in recent yrs.

I also have done some coyote calling. But have not focused all that much on it. My quest for a lion consumes my thoughts.

Welcome. I'm guessing we're in the same age group. I started hunting in 1964 at age 12. Except for waterfowl, I have always been a spot and stalk junkie. If there was more jump shooting available for waterfowl, my decoys would be in the dumpster. Unfortunately, all the good spots are now consumed by mansions and golf courses.

Thank you all. It is my intent. To share with anyone who maybe interested in my hunt experiences. To gain an edge on Red Fox & the coyote behaviors. Although my experiences involve spot/stalking mainly. What I have observed & experienced through trial & error with Red Fox & coyotes. Can no doubt, help some hunters. To become a better hunter or at least bring forth another viewport. A hunter might not be aware of. My son who never took to hunting. Is why I share anyway. Seems to me, decades of 1st hand experiences & observations. Should not go to waste.

Good looking Lab & shotgun. Are those other birds Grouse?
A "mixed bag." Pheasant, sharptail grouse, and a Hungarian partridge tucked in the back.

Lab in bottom photo is Opal, gone three years now. Ellie is asleep after a hard last day hunting two years ago. "Puppy" aka Coral is my 11 year-old French Brittany.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back