MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

new Mexico Merriams for 2011

mconway951

Starting to plan for next spring already I have heard good things about new mexico and was wondering if anybody had any advice on an area to try out. this would be 100% diy so need public land suggestions.
Thanks guys.
Mike

I have lived and hunted in southern New Mexico for the past 30 years. I would be glad to give you as much information as possible. I have only hunted in the southern half of the state, but would be glad to help.

I would be willing to do the same for you if you were to head for central NM. I have a few good spots here as well. It took me 3 days but got both of my birds this year.

If you're going DIY, much of ID has Merriams, lots of public land, and probably closer. Though maybe not the purest of Merriams, here's a few from some state land this spring.

Picture271.jpg

NM Merriams

Ive Hunted NM all my life. From North South East and West. Most of my birds were taken on public land and some were on the reservation. If you have the mobility to travel one spot not producing you can drive around to another mountain range within an hours drive. Its pretty easy to fly into Albuquerque and rent a vehicle or you can explore NM in your own ride. If your looking for the true white tipped Merriams then nothern NM would be your best bet. If you dont care about the color and you want numbers then southern NM east or west you have good #'s. The Sacramento Mts has a alot of birds but lots of pressure. Th Gila is a totally different story. Lots of Birds But lots of space. Ive been on hunts where I havent seen another hunter until i leave. With my longbeard in back of my truck. If you need any help drop me a line. Let me know when you plan to visit. Good Luck

Thanks for all the advice guys I am looking for a true white tipped bird I have shot several in SD all of them cream colored and always hunt the opener when its usaully cold and still snowing at least last few years anyway. Kinda looking forward to somewhere a little warmer after a long MN winter.
Any advice on spots to try for a true white tipped bird

I like unit 51 and also anything in northern NM will be good. Lots of National ForestBLM and State land to roam look at the forest maps to get to know the area.

Back