New Mexico, Let's Git 'er Done !!!

Moosie

Grand poopa
Can someone from New Mexico post the dates of the Draws and a Basic understanding of the point system for someone wanting to put in for New Mexico ?

How does the state handle the big game draws and general hunts ?!?!
When is the Deadline for draws ?
What is the Point system like there ?

Just some General Info from someone in the know willing to help someone out that needs general info.

thanx in advance.......

To my knowledge there is no point system here in New Mexico. In years past if you entered for an Elk hunt and where unsuccessful you were sent a notice. You had to keep the notices and after five years of unsuccessful draws you were bumped to the top. I haven’t heard or received anything like that in the past four or five years. I’ve drawn 3 of the last 4 years.

A new development this year is the ALL DRAW deer hunts. I didn’t see any over the counter public hunts for deer. Also, some muzzleloader hunts are primitive firearms only. No in-lines or scopes.

A few things different about New Mexico,
No points system, but when the draw takes place, they consider your first three choices before they go on to the next application. That means it's very possable to draw a premimum unit as your second or third choice.
New this year, points restrictions for elk and deer in many of the best unites, and a late (Nov.) archery elk hunt in some units.

Another point to consider in entering your draw hunt permits for elk here in NM:

The fourth choice is basically an “anything that is left over” type of deal. Two years ago one of my buddies was given an area as his fourth option. It was a small area and G&F had just pulled around 100 head of elk out and traded them to another state for some bass. The sad part is we saw zero elk in 4 days of hunting and only saw very limited sign. My feeling on the fourth option is it is a good way for the state to make money but not a good way for a hunter to get a good area. The year before as a fourth option I also received a really bad area. So from now on I only enter the three areas I am sure of.

I realize that non-residents pay good money to the state and the reason I’m speaking up is if you’re a non-resident and elect to take a bottom of the barrel fourth option you may be wasting your money and your time. Non-residents pay between $291.00 and $766.00 depending on the hunt type. With no refund if you draw.

I’m not trying to scare anybody off. It just torked me off to pay $69.00 bucks for a bad area, let alone almost $300.00. See page 32 of the 2005-2006 Big Game Proclamation.

Just my .02 I’m done……. :MAD

Yep...some of the changes were very good to me. One, they bumped up the oryx app deadline and a lot of guys missed it. Check NOW for application dates if you want to hunt that awsome critter.
2, they now consider all 3 choices. unlike AZ or UT where you may as well not even fill in 2nd (UT) or 3rd... because there is never anything left for the second round of drawings. What they do unlike AZ and UT is they draw names and look at you choices. AZ and UT draw from "unit applications" and you are only considered if you have that unit as one of your first (or second in AZ) choices.
3, no bonus or preference points. free for all every year.

I guess I am newbie here since I had to re-register! :D

The deadline to apply for public deer permits, elk, antelope, ibex, javelina and bighorn sheep draw licenses is April 9, 2005.

There is no preference point system in New Mexico.

For elk I would highly reccommend applying for the Valles Caldera, and do not overlook New Mexico for monster bighorn sheep and of course antelope!

Thanks for the dates BCA. I'm hoping that the WY elk results are out earlier enough to know if I should put in for elk in NM. Don't know if I could swing both, but would be happy with a 16 (a or b) tag in my pocket! :D Got my fingers crossed on Oryx as well.

Back