Caribou Gear

New Member from Pennsylvania

PAelkhunter

Greetings fellow forum members. I'm excited to be a part of Hunt Talk and to learn from others and their experiences. I'm an avid fan of Big Fin and what he's doing for the hunting community; showing average people like myself can in fact navigate the western states and fill tags successfully. I've hunted Montana 2 of the last 3 years for elk on a friend's private ranch with success each year, but looking forward to more time on the public and using the tools that Randy's provided. While we do have an elk season here in PA, I've never applied as it just doesn't seem like a "real" elk hunt though others may disagree. My love is Montana and all it has to offer...other than the high non-res license fees and confusing regulations;), but at the end of the day it's all worth it. Thank you all for you hospitality and I look forward to our conversations in the future.

Grew up hunting The Allegheny Forrest as a Kid. From Erie, PA. ,moved to Phoenix in 1977 at 21. Love western hunting much more, but have good memories of PA. in the late 60's and till 77. Welcome aboard..................BOB!

I haven't been on this forum in a while. I live in Florida now but still own a home in the Poconos. I've been wanting to go out to Allegheny forest. I figure you've hunted up there being you are from western PA. If you have what is a good section to hunt ?

Actually, I'm from south central PA...lots of agriculture with wood lots mixed in. We have pretty good deer density, but not much public. If you don't know someone, it can be tough to find a decent place to hunt. I offer my services to farmers during hay season or cut firewood in exchange for hunting rights out of respect to the landowner. So far, I've been blessed and the landowner's feel like they're getting a good deal. As far as public hunting for you in the Pocono area, I'd say jump on RT80 and head west to Williamsport. There's a lot of good public land north of there and the deer densities aren't too bad. I belong to a hunting club that owns about 900 acres, 30 min south of Scranton so I head there for the rifle season usually. There's also a decent amount of public in that area as well. Pretty much anywhere across the norther tier will get you into large tracts of public to explore. Good luck!

I haven't been on this forum in a while. I live in Florida now but still own a home in the Poconos. I've been wanting to go out to Allegheny forest. I figure you've hunted up there being you are from western PA. If you have what is a good section to hunt ?

I lived in the poconos for a year recently before moving out west, that place seems to have gone downhill, skettcccchhhyyyyyyy.

Great wild trout fishing though!

Not a new m

For sure- times are a changing. However it is still beautiful countryside.
The farms, rolling hills and hardwood trees will never change. I still love riding my Harley on the winding roads.
I wake up in the morning and am surrounded by deer, turkey and the occasional black bear- to name a few. They are not quarry - they are more like pets - or family even. I’ve been out west plenty, and the majestic geography is like no other. But there is still much beauty in the Appalachian mountains. Which by the way my PA home is on the southern edge of the Pocono Plateau looking straight at the Appalachian trail across the valley. Enjoy it out there , the west is quite extraordinary.

yeah all my neighbors that I talked to said this place is nowhere near what it used to be in the 90s and pre 90s. Sad that NYC is really taking over that area.

Gorgeous country that's for sure! The mountain laurel gets pretty gnarly up there tho ha!

Welcome! The PA elk hunt is definitely worth applying for, archery just started in 2019 and check out the first archery bull: https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/elk/first-ever-archery-elk-taken-in-pennsylvania

From experience I can tell you the PA elk hunt is not a slam dunk by any means, the elk can and will run for miles if they're spooked like they do in western states

Also no point creep, it's strictly a bonus point system with everyone having a chance to draw

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back