Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Hampshire Moose tag results out

brownbear932008

Just wanted to let you guys know the moose tag results where just posted to thier website. No tags for me there either 0-5 so far:( Maybe that MT. sheep tag is coming?:D

I posted In tag forum I got lucky. 1% chance, but I finally drew after 14 years.

Zone C2(ES) It was my 4th choice of 19. Supposed to be very good 83% success rate.

thats awesome can't wait to hear about your hunt.I just realized I could still get in for Vt. draw,and I'm in for Maine too.0-3 on all those states so far,but I know its a waiting game.Started building points for my son in Maine.NH and Vt. moose numbers seem to be going down hill with the tag numbers each year
You should have an excellent hunt.Are you planning to hold out for something of size or shooting what you see?

Oh no for me I intend to hold out for a top end bull or possibly bust. I was on my first moose hunt ever last year in Wyoming. Not a trophy unit there, but got some experience to their behavior and such. Took a small bull on the 11th day. I failed to draw any western tags so I have the vacation days to head up to NH a week in advance to set up camp and scout.

Nice thing to know about Maine is you can change your app to dam near the day prior to the draw. All you gotta do is phone them. I did yesterday to change my app to points only. One moose is enough.

Last edited:
Been here scouting for the last week. Got several good spots identified. Saw 7 moose this morning.

New Hampshire Success

Attached are photos of my New Hampshire bull moose taken October 27th near town of Berlin.

Bull has 20 points, weighed 780#, with a rack width of 53 1/4". This moose will score in the top 5% size wise in the state of New Hampshire for 2012. Only one bull wider than 53 1/4" was taken in my unit C2 all of last year. I spent 8 days of scouting, and 7 days hunting. The first 6 days hunting produced very few sightings. I had only passed on one small bull up to that time. We decided to shift gears and abandon my scouted land. Instead went around looking for new timber cuts. Came across a timber cutter Harold. Super nice guy who gave us a few specific suggestions where he had seen moose. He claimed I would have my bull within the next 3 days. It only took me 1.

On Saturday I got up early and made the 45 minute drive there from camp. Was extremely foggy. Could only see 40 yards at sunrise. Finally cleared enough to creep down the ridge glassing as I went. From this ridge I could glass 200 yards on either side on the basin. Very beautiful terrain. Heard some clicking of antlers, hunkered down and spotted a small bull. Given there was only one day left to hunt, I was planning on taking anything. Put my rifle crosshairs on the tiny bull and clicked the safety. Started squeezing the trigger when I heard additional tickling of antlers by another bull just to the right of the first one. Eased up and decided to gamble. Let the small bull walk, hoping I was going the right thing. After 15 minutes I decided to try a stalk to get a look at the other bull. Stood and snuck up for a better look. There he was, king of the timber, 60 yards away, flashing his rack. Seemed like a mirage after 15 days of no big bull sightings. Settled in shooting stacks slowly as bull watched me. Bull dropped in his tracks. After lengthy getting out, we got 2 hours sleep and took him to check station in West Milan. From there we drove down to my hunting partner's home in Shapleigh, Maine, where I am now. We spent all today prepping meat for my return drive to St. Charles tomorrow. Hope hurricane remnants subside for my drive.

I was extremely lucky to take a moose of this calibre.

Attachments

• DSCN4641.JPG
    DSCN4641.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSCN1609.JPG
    DSCN1609.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 974
  • DSCN1621.JPG
    DSCN1621.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 958
New Hampshire Success

New Hampshire Success

Attachments

• DSCN1612.JPG
    DSCN1612.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 979
  • DSCN1649.JPG
    DSCN1649.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 981
  • DSCN1655.JPG
    DSCN1655.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 977
How the hell do these guys get these things out whole??? My MT moose was 5 hours to get out 1/4 of a boned out moose...

First idiot hired tried to drag it out with a chain saw winch and about killed himself. I called the timber cutter and he brought a skidder, like a tractor used to harvest trees. He tied all 4 legs together, and lifted the head away with a come along. He got out the 1/4 mile in 15 minutes.

Awesome! Getting them out whole is pretty sweet. I'm guessing the $$ spent on the skidder was the best money spent on the trip! :D

I was down to the wire on this hunt! You guys know what I mean. One out in the bottom of the ninth. So glad I put the logger in to pinch hit ! :)

Awesome bull congrat's on a monster NH bull way to stick it out! By the way the skidder trick is pretty nice up there in NH and Maine my buddy did the same thing best $100 bucks ever spent.

NH

To those of you applying for NH Hampshire moose, I'd highly suggest either hiring one of the local outfitters, or having a lot of vacation days saved up to scout. We saw very few moose, only about 2 per day, and I had one of the best 4 zones. The population is way down. This is not an easy hunt by any means. The bull I took was the only mature bull seen in my 3 weeks there.

Covering that terrain is brutal. Clearcuts with logs and branches everywhere. Try to bushwhack and you bury yourself in all the tall vegetation.

You need specific locations of particular bulls for success. They tend to have a small home range. Most visible ones are harvested in the first 2 days.

Myself, I was behind the 8-ball from day one. I had to fly out to Indianapolis the opening weekend for a wedding! :(

Good advice Zim but I would like to add a few more points. If I was picked below the Lakes region ( Central ) I would consider passing. I have killed two moose ( both where i LIVE- j2 ) Three years ago was the last time and i SCOUTED EVERY DAY FROM THE DAY i GOT THE RESULTS IN jUNE and saw only two juveniles. Plus I had many people looking for me! I think talking with loggers would be the best advice as they will be hanging in the older clear cuts when the season starts. Guides up this way are a little thin and should be checked closely. I would suggest coming up the week before and getting as much info on old clearcuts as possible. You need to have many locations as possible especially for the first few days as there could be alot of competition. I think the north central zone are the beat for a good bull now because they have taken so many of the large bulls up north in the last ten or so years. The White Mts are pretty rugged and still have alot of remote areas with Big bulls. The only drawback is getting them out. But I never worry about that until they are down. lol

Congrats, Zim. That is one hell of a moose. Sounds like you worked hard to get him.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back