Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Guy from South Dakota

Keenan930

Dropping a line here to say Hello from SE South Dakota.

Get out as much as possible to enjoy all that South Dakota has to offer: Deer, Turkey, Pheasant, Fishing, etc.

I came across the site looking for info on Montana Elk Hunting. A group of friends and I have decided to try our hand at the Montana General Elk season.

I will be digging through as much of the forums over the next 6-7 months to learn as much as possible about the Big Sky state as we have a lot to learn

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

From one SD guy to another, Welcome! I am in your area, and will be willing to help any way I can. Unfortunately never been to Montana, sorry.

Get out as much as possible to enjoy all that South Dakota has to offer: Deer, Turkey, Pheasant, Fishing, etc.

I came across the site looking for info on Montana Elk Hunting. A group of friends and I have decided to try our hand at the Montana General Elk season.

Know your area pretty well. Was born/raised in Aberdeen, college in Rapid City. Played college football against a pretty good athlete at Yankton College - guy by the name of Lyle Alzado.

Been in Montana chasing elk for 35 years - if you have any specific questions send me a PM.

Know your area pretty well. Was born/raised in Aberdeen, college in Rapid City. Played college football against a pretty good athlete at Yankton College - guy by the name of Lyle Alzado.

Been in Montana chasing elk for 35 years - if you have any specific questions send me a PM.

I'm about 15 miles north of Aberdeen! Small world.

I will be digging through as much of the forums over the next 6-7 months to learn as much as possible about the Big Sky state as we have a lot to learn

I can't help ya out with Montana but welcome from a fellow SD.

Lots of great stories about Lyle Alzado in Yankton, SD!

College in Rapid City, did you get a degree from School of Mines?

Welcome! I was raised in Huron and live in Helena, MT now. One thing I will say is that it took me about 3-4 years of aimlessly running around the mountains in MT before I finally started to understand that elk hunting and deer hunting are WAYYYY different.
Get in as good of shape as you can because there is nothing in the eastern SD landscape that can prepare you for hoofing around the elk mountains.

Welcome!
Get in as good of shape as you can because there is nothing in the eastern SD landscape that can prepare you for hoofing around the elk mountains.

TRS speaks the truth. MY 1st trip west elk hunting was a real eye opener for me.

I spend 1-3hrs a day at they gym/working out 5 days a week ever since that 1st elk trip. Never again will I be that guy.

No matter how good you think you are at something in SD, 9,000 feet will make you look like a fool every time.

Welcome! I was raised in Huron and live in Helena, MT now. One thing I will say is that it took me about 3-4 years of aimlessly running around the mountains in MT before I finally started to understand that elk hunting and deer hunting are WAYYYY different.

We do most of our hunting back near Huron, the in-law's still have land back near Wolsey that produces good pheasant and deer year after year.

My wife's Dad grew up in Wolsey, and Mom grew up in Hitchcock.

TRS speaks the truth. MY 1st trip west elk hunting was a real eye opener for me.

I spend 1-3hrs a day at they gym/working out 5 days a week ever since that 1st elk trip. Never again will I be that guy.

No matter how good you think you are at something in SD, 9,000 feet will make you look like a fool every time.

I have read that a few places. I'll prepare as good as I can, and enjoy the experience of being in the high country.

Last edited:

This

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back