MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New generator

From what I’ve read, the smaller Onan inverter generators aren’t actually made by Cummins or Onan. I think they’re made by Generac and then outer plastic is Onan branding. Same with craftsman and several other brands. Nothing wrong with Generac, I have a craftsman’s 3500 that’s been super reliable and is very quiet, but I think it’s worth noting that you may not be able to expect the same lifetime reliability out of the portables vs the built-in Onan ones.
That very possible.
I am happy with mine but it will fail someday.

I use Honda 2200 and have the soft start sitting here for install. My Honda will run the ac but I need a little boost for start up.
If the soft start works I think the Honda is worth the premium costs.

Note Honda does make a new suitcase 3000 that is just coming to market it think. Though not as light as the 2200i.
Much more $.

I use Honda 2200 and have the soft start sitting here for install. My Honda will run the ac but I need a little boost for start up.
If the soft start works I think the Honda is worth the premium costs.

Note Honda does make a new suitcase 3000 that is just coming to market it think. Though not as light as the 2200i.
Much more $.
I have the 2k watt Yamaha and put a soft start on the AC in our motorhome, pretty slick combination. Still have the Yamaha and I use it when we have no sun for days in the winter at our cabin and, simply put, it just works every single time. Hundreds of hours on it at this point.

I've had 2 Honda 2000 generators for a number of years. The original has the ability to charge a vehicle battery with a simple set of cables. I run them in tandem and they will run the AC in the camper and the microwave at the same time. They are pricey but are portable and totally dependable. Worth the money!!

I'm doing the exact same research now. It sure seems like 95% are the same Chinese generator with different plastic panels. Kind of like cheap Chinese binos. The reviews on them aren't that terrible though. Amazon had the Westinghouse version marked down to $350 last week, I wish I would have snagged one before they sold out.

That said... my dad has had the same same 3000eu for 20+ years and that thing is absolutely bulletproof. My family has had such good luck with Honda small engines over the years it's hard to not just bite the bullet and pay for the Honda.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing the exact same research now. It sure seems like 95% are the same Chinese generator with different plastic panels. Kind of like cheap Chinese binos. The reviews on them aren't that terrible though. Amazon had the Westinghouse version marked down to $350 last week, I wish I would halve snagged one before they sold out.

That said... my dad has had the same same 3000eu for 20+ years and that thing is absolutely bulletproof. My family has had such good luck with Honda small engines over the years it's hard to not just bite the bullet and pay for the Honda.
My buddy has a westinghouse 5500? And its only 1 step above junk

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back