Caribou Gear Tarp

New dog journey...

Also, as an aside I didn't teach the command "stay" with Henry. I did with my previous dogs. Now, "sit" means park it and don't move until you get a further command. Up to you how you do it, I doubt either way is right or wrong.

I'll second that. We taught "stay", but we really don't use it now. As JLS says, we ended up expecting "sit" to mean sit until we tell you otherwise. Probably won't train "stay" on future pups.

More great pics! Kids and dogs go together like peanut butter and chocolate. :)

SIT training/conditioning has commenced! Thanks for the advice!

Practice was cancelled for the boys tonight, so Hank and I will SIT and start on HEEL.

1_pointer- my training book recommended a slip collar (with the two metal rings) to help with pulling and heel. Duke is a puller and the collar is really helping with teaching heel too. Again its my first time doing all this, but it is helping, FWIW.

1_pointer- my training book recommended a slip collar (with the two metal rings) to help with pulling and heel. Duke is a puller and the collar is really helping with teaching heel too. Again its my first time doing all this, but it is helping, FWIW.
Thanks for the suggestion! He has gotten better for me. A sorta problem that is developing is that he does not listen to the other members of the house quite as well. I'll give the slip collar a try.

Something else you might try is Delmar Smith's Wonder Lead. Most of the gundog supply places carry it, and there are lots of demonstration videos online. We've got some friends who rave about it, and recently gave us one though we haven't had occasion to use it yet. Wish we had it back when we were training heel and such! It seems like lots of people use it for pointer training - maybe someone else on here knows more. I just know several people who swear by it for teaching whoa and heel.

HW- Yes, in my mind I said "H-Dub" while typing that... :D The check cord I bought is supposed to be able to be used somewhat similarly. I still may get the Wonder Lead though. What's an extra $25 when it's for the pup?

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dokken-puppycheck30-2-in1-check-cord.html

Though now after doing a bit of looking I wish I would have saw this one!! I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that hard to modify the one I have to do what this one does:
http://www.gundogsupply.com/dokken-procheck30-4-in1-check-cord.html

I'm sure those will do the trick too. That waist cincher one looks interesting. So many gadgets, so little time.

What's an extra $25 when it's for the pup?

Ha! Watch out....it never ends! First you need all this stuff "for training". Then you start hunting and wish you had boots/vests/skid plates. Then you need a new bird vest with more pockets to carry more water/dog snacks/first aid kit. Then you need a bigger truck to carry all that crap plus your crap. Just wait. It'll happen

I'm looking forward to that part! My wife's a gadget/gear junkie, so it makes spending the $$ a bit easier. :D

Ha! Watch out....it never ends! First you need all this stuff "for training". Then you start hunting and wish you had boots/vests/skid plates. Then you need a new bird vest with more pockets to carry more water/dog snacks/first aid kit. Then you need a bigger truck to carry all that crap plus your crap. Just wait. It'll happen

LOL. Henry told me we need a pop-up camper instead of the Big Agnes Inn.

Smart dog!! You are getting off easy though. Hank is trying for a house...in a state west of here with wild birds!! 1.5 stories with a basement that has 9' ceilings on about 5 or so irrigated acres with a pond just before the blacktop ends and next to public land. Our breeds may be "ugly" but dumb they aren't. :D

Last edited:
Smart dog!! You are getting off easy though. Hank is trying for a house...in a state west of here with wild birds!! 1.5 stories with a basement that has 9' ceilings on about 5 or so irrigated acres with a pond just before the blacktop ends and next to public land. Our breeds may be "ugly" but dumb they aren't. :D

I agree with Hank! Duke and I will help you chase all those birds Hank :D

The weather was nice last night, so after an early, quick dinner the boys, Hank, and I headed out for some 'field' time for the pup. Granted, he had been kenneled most of the day, but once we hit the field...VVVRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMM! He's starting to get his legs under him! Not sure if he was doing anything but burning off energy and crashing through the NWSG. A bit later, I was all but positive I heard a bobwhite calling. So we worked our way over to that fence row. Not positive, but I thought I saw a few flush and when Hank got to there he was extremely interested in something... I need to get some birds planted for him so I can see if he realizes what they are.

A bit later on Hank used to nose to help find a mostly not stinky deer skeleton! The boys thought it was cool and the youngest couldn't wait to get home put the "dinosaur" back together! However, they did let dad carry the stinking mess out. :D

The main purpose of this trip was to get Hank around some water. While on the walk he had no problem splashing through shallow water and retrieved bumpers into water to his belly. Once we made it back to the truck we took him down to the boat ramp to see what he thought of bigger water. Course, the boys couldn't let him have all the fun!

He entered the water up to belly high on his own. We tossed a few sticks for him that he'd go get, but none far enough where he'd have to swim. Once I let the boys get totally soaked, I figured I'd give him longer tosses as the oldest could swim after the bumper if Hank didn't. Hank didn't mind getting it at all!! :D

Click to see the video's

All it all it was a fun, short evening. I am more than happy with Hank's progression. Now to find more time and some birds for him...

Well it's official, Hank IS a pointer!! This past Saturday, I skipped my 8yo's morning baseball game (which I hate to do) and attending a local NAVHDA chapter training day. For Hank and I this was to be an introduction to live birds! The chapter members all met and we split into 2 groups, one at the pond working on duck searches and the group I was with headed to the field to work on pointer, holding steady and retrieving. Having not attending one of these before I did what I could to help, but mostly just observed and kept Hank out of the way while birds were planted, pointed, shot, and retrieved for the first round.

I was a bit interested to see how Hank did around gunfire. He's not shown any skittishness around loud noises or the cap gun at home, but... The previous Friday, my neighbor set off a mortar style firework while he was outside and it scared the bejeebus out of him. Later that week, he was even skittish about the thunder that came with the storm that hit home. At the first shot he did flinch and tucked his tail, but didn't run nor whimper. I petted him up and he seemed fine with all the rest of the shots. I and another guy were up for the second round as we were both working with young dogs.

We dizzied and set the 3 pigeons for Hank. I kept the check cord on him but wanted to give him some time to gains some independence/confidence. Once we walked him towards the first bird, he was faster than I and caught it on the ground. We reset the bird and showed him where it was and then flushed it. He chased it in flight for a bit and then it lit in the tree. The second bird was much better... :D I worked the check cord better catching him just as he found the bird. We flushed it and I followed him as he chased it again. This time in lit in the short grass and just as I was getting ready to reel him in on the cord; BANG! First point! He locked up and after a few tail waggles, even that went still. A chapter member got this pic just as one of the others was picking the bird up to show Hank and to make it fly.

The third bird took Hank a bit more looking than I would have liked, but once he found it he locked up on it as well!

This one flew much better and I let Hank go as the bird flew low and fast with him in hot pursuit! Every time he took off after a bird, one of the members would fire a starter pistol. With a bird in sight, he didn't even flinch! He chased this bird about 100yds and it decided to set down. Moments later Hank pounced on it! I quick Come Hank, and he was bring the bird right back to me letting me take it from him with one, soft Give command! Though I was told that you don't want them to catch the birds, this one was unavoidable. I was pretty darn proud of the little guy, even though they were sight points, and very proud how well he retrieved the live bird.

Homework after they day: 1. Work more obedience and be more diligent on WHOA, 2. tracking drills as he needs to start using that sniffer more, and 3. since I have 3 dead pigeons we're going to start doing some retrieving drills with them in some tall grass so he has to use his nose.

Not sure anyone from the Chapter will read or see this, but I want to thank them again for all the help on Saturday! It was well worth the drive and time spent.

Great photos! I think tracking work is a very under rated portion of training a versatile dog. I overlooked it early, but we worked on it a lot after the first hunting season.

The young fella is getting big!

He is getting big! About a month ago he weighed 47# at the vet, who guesses he'll be a 60#ish dog. Tracking is definitely something I need to work on between now and August as that is part of the NAVHDA Natural Ability test. He seems to have a good nose, but just doesn't know when to use it often enough. I plan on doing some short hotdog tracks with him a few times a week for a bit, then we'll get to dragging the dead pigeons for him.

I will say, it was fun watching that pointing switch get flipped. Once he saw the bird I stopped him briefly with the check cord and his tail was wagging big and fast then bang, not at all! Now I just need to get better at getting him exposure as I'm sure he has the tools and just doesn't know it yet.

This past Saturday, Hank and I attended another local NAVHDA training day. I greatly appreciate these as I'm new enough at this dog training thing to not know what I don't know and the other members are a great help. One thing Saturday taught me is that I need to temper my expectations a bit, same as when I'm working with my kids on something. Since he pointed last month, I had it in my head that he'd lock up instantly at the first whiff of bird. That was not the case...

Anywho, since the last training day we've spent some time working on tracking in the yard with dead pigeons. He would work the track well, IMO, and always found the bird or treat at the end. On Saturday, it was apparent he was using his nose more and did a great job at finding all the birds (3 pigeons and 2 quail) that I planted for him. His snuffler does work! He had a couple of flash points and one that he held somewhat after I stopped him with the check cord. But, it is definitely something we have to get better at before his NA test in August. It was suggested I get access to some bird lauchers.

Now for what he did very well. Each time in the field after birds, another member was firing off a starting pistol. I was a bit worried that he may be abit gunshy after a firework experience a few weeks back, but he didn't even flinch this time. So, I think we are good on that and I plan on buying some 20ga 'poppers' for next months training. His prey drive is very strong!! I think that is one of the reasons he's not pointing well yet. He smells the bird and just wants catch it. He did momentarily catch one pigeon as I was too slow on the check cord and almost got a quail. That said, once the bird flushes he hits the after burners and is after them! One of the pigeons flew a bit over a 100yds into an adjoining woods and disappeared with Hank hot as his tail. I called him back and nothing. I called again and here he comes bounding through the grass with the pigeon in his mouth!! So, at least I know he knows how to find birds, now I just need to teach him to stop when he gets close. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many more members showed up this month than last and therefore the field work took much longer than last. As such we didn't get to spend as much time on the water as I'd have hoped. I tossed the bumper for him a half dozen times or so and he showed now hesitation in going after the water and brought them all back to me. I think we are solid on that part for the test!

Speaking of the test, here's a quick run down of what he needs to do and where I think he stands.

1. Search the field and point a bird. He's good at searching and will work up to 75yds from me as I move through the field. As stated above, he finds birds, but we must get better at getting them pointed.
2. Not be gun shy. So far he doesn't flinch with the starter gun and I hope that continues when I move closer and to louder shots.
3. Track a live bird. He's using his nose and figuring out what birds smell like. He needs more exposure to this.
4. Go into the water with little/no hesitation. He's only been in water twice and so far he seems well adapted to it.

Again, I didn't get my expectations met, but we are progressing. I also recognize that any/all of his shortcomings are on me due to lack of exposure. I did find out about a conservation club not 10mins from the house that has a dog training area. Hope to put that to use over the next few months. Any and all advice or suggestions is great appreciated!!

1. I think this just needs time and practice. I can't help you with pigeons/planted birds, but I know for Henry that first fall of hunting wild birds was a steep learning curve. Once it clicked, it clicked. HOWEVER, that said, he still has momentary brain farts and blunders right into a covey of quail without ever pointing.
2. Keep at it with the poppers. Do it while you are throwing the bumper so he starts to assimilate gunfire with retrieving. Meld this into your water training too.
3. Keep at it with wings, dead birds, etc. Run the tracks farther and faster so you leave less scent. IME this was like pointing. Once the light really went on, it stayed on.
4. Do this during hot weather so it's extra rewarding. If he's not hesitating now, I wouldn't worry about it. Just work him farther and farther on the retrieves.

Him being able to catch the birds might cause you some issues with his pointing, I'd watch this closely and do all you can to prevent it.

Back