Yeti GOBOX Collection

New chick from Manitoba

Chixfishing

Glad to have found this forum.
I’m from the interlake area of Manitoba where I do a lot of waterfowling. We’ve got lots of deer to pick from and I’ve been waaayyyy up north on the ice roads for caribou. (Look up Tadoule lake).
I’m looking to hunt pronghorn in Wyoming. Learning lots here.

Welcome!

Feel free to PM when you get your post count high enough to do so. I've made the trip accross the border from Saskatchewan a few times for antelope and am always looking for more info on Mabitoba whitetails! ;)

Welcome to the forum. I'd love to hear about waaayyyy up north. Sounds like adventure and then some.
To hunt caribou in the winter in Manitoba you load up your snowmobile and about 8 jerry cans of gas and drive north until the pavement ends ( about 13 hrs from Winnipeg) then you get on the ice roads for another 16 hrs. It is only an extra 150 miles on the winter road but you can only go about 10-12mph.

We camp on the side of the road in a big wall tent and go out by snowmobile daily over the frozen lakes in search of caribou. Your hunting is limited by the amount of gas you can carry. It’s cold (-40) but w the right gear it’s doable. It’s not really a solo adventure logistically bc of the extremely remote location and safety in numbers.

It’s not a trophy hunt bc the bulls have shed their antlers by the time the ice road is built. The cows still carry them but we mostly find bachelor groups of bulls. The meat is delicious and although they’re not much taller than deer they’re stocky and yield more meat. Their hearts are massive (like a domestic cow sized) and tender and the hide is one of the warmest furs out there.

We can buy tags (2) on a first come basis in June but the numbers are limited. It’s a long tough wait from June until the roads open. Hopefully next week.

To hunt caribou in the winter in Manitoba you load up your snowmobile and about 8 jerry cans of gas and drive north until the pavement ends ( about 13 hrs from Winnipeg) then you get on the ice roads for another 16 hrs. It is only an extra 150 miles on the winter road but you can only go about 10-12mph.

We camp on the side of the road in a big wall tent and go out by snowmobile daily over the frozen lakes in search of caribou. Your hunting is limited by the amount of gas you can carry. It’s cold (-40) but w the right gear it’s doable. It’s not really a solo adventure logistically bc of the extremely remote location and safety in numbers.

It’s not a trophy hunt bc the bulls have shed their antlers by the time the ice road is built. The cows still carry them but we mostly find bachelor groups of bulls. The meat is delicious and although they’re not much taller than deer they’re stocky and yield more meat. Their hearts are massive (like a domestic cow sized) and tender and the hide is one of the warmest furs out there.

We can buy tags (2) on a first come basis in June but the numbers are limited. It’s a long tough wait from June until the roads open. Hopefully next week.
Wow! I’d love to see some pictures and hear from stories from that.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back