New Bullets

Originally posted by 1_pointer:
[QB]Shaky- Thanks for the info and good luck with the product. I know I'll be trying a box!!
biggrin.gif
BTW, about what will a box (I'm assuming 50) cost, approx.? Also, will the three different types have the same ballistics? I don't know if this is even possible, but it'd be great. That way I could work up on load and use the different bullets as game dictates without even changing my scope settings!

Also, if you need any help testing these bullets I'd be more than happy to help out!!!
biggrin.gif

The bullets will be marketed in lots of 25, 50 and 100. If any person or group of people order together and order more then 500 with one order then I will offer a discount. The various calibers will range in price. This is based on machining time and the amount (weight) of copper used per bullet. The exact pricing has yet to be determined. We are looking somewhere in the ballpark of around $30 for a box of 25 bullets, depending on caliber and freight based on where in the country one lives.

Groove Bullets are custom made to exacting tolerances. Because Groove Bullets are machined versus stamped out using dies the sizes will be the same time and time again. No more worries about "lot numbers".

The difference in ballistics will be minimal from one type to the other. There will be slight weight differences from type to type but the outside geometric shape will remain constant. Depending on the distances you normally shoot will depend if one can use the same scope settings.

We are now in the process of testing and are gathering important data on an ongoing basis. There will however be promotions for those that use the bullets, send in pictures of animal killed using them and the story.

Hope this answers your questions,

Don
smile.gif

Thanks. I can't wait to try some!!!
biggrin.gif
Keep us posted with any, no matter how miniscule update!

Hello all,

The most recent data on the performance of my new bullets can be seen under the "HOGS" heading.

I have a gunsmith in Texas that is presently load developing using my 25 cal 101gr EXP bullet. He is loading a 25 STW (wildcat) and is looking to obtain 4000 plus feet per second with 1/2" group accuracy at 100 yards. As soon as I have his data I will post his results. One of his goals is to produce a "dead on aim" out to 550 yards. He is using a plus or minus 3 1/2" from "dead on aim". In other words he can aim dead on out to 550 yards and the bullet will not hit high or low by more then 3 1/2" of his aim point. Quite an accomplishment if he obtains it.

I will keep all posted,

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Shaky, that's a point blank diameter of 7 inches at 550 yards, I am surmising with a 100 yard zero. ( That translates to 3.5 inches high at 100 yards and 3.5 inches low at 550 yards. Am I reading you correctly?) That is indeed a goal to set. I would be interested to see how close he comes.....

cool.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-23-2003 13:07: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

( That translates to 3.5 inches high at 100 yards and 3.5 inches low at 550 yards. Am I reading you correctly?)

Danr,

I would think he would be looking at a zero at around midway or slightly past midway. Perhaps around the 300 to 350 yard mark. Meaning he could be hitting as high as 3 1/2" and as low as 3 1/2" out to 550 yards from the same aim point.

Don
smile.gif

Shaky, The trajectory of most bullets is less like an oval and more like a skewed arc. Generally the transition flat will be at a point about 70% of the total distance. That would put the top of the trajectory somewhere around 390 yards. That's just a best guess. The actual trajectory would have to be calculated based on ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, and atmospheric conditions.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the lenght of the ogive. That has a lot to do with trajectory and BC.. Do you know how many calibers the ogive is on this quarter bore bullet?

cool.gif

Danr,

The ogive on my 25 caliber bullet is almsot 15. I have yet to calculate the BC. Based on data thus far it will be extremely high.

If the 25 cal bullet can in fact be driven at 4000 FPS and maintain 1/2 MOA accuracy then we should be able to obtain the plus or minus 3 1/2" we are after based on performance data we have thus far.

The data collection is ongoing and as we collect and analize the data we will be posting that information on the website.

As to exactly where "zero" ends up, we don't really know till we actually shoot the round at various distances - out to the 550 benchmark we have set. We may find out our benchmark is to high or maybe to low. After actual shooting that will be determined. The 550 yards is a goal at this point.

I have never been a fan of computer generated data as to flight paths, drops and the like. I like to actually go out and shoot to verify the data. Once this data is obtained I will list all necessary parameters.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Wow!.. That's a long ogive... Let me know when you get to the 6.5s. I may need some of them...

cool.gif

Shaky:
If you didn't spend so much time by the campfire heating things up, you would be further into production.
Anyways I have a question for you, you say that with the way these bullets will be produced that you can do away with lot numbers.
I have found through the years that when ordering metal stock, you do not always get the same alloy composition every time and that alone can affect the end product as far as variability.
Not to mention the voids that sometimes occur depending on how the base stock is produced.
Any thoughts on that and how to control or at least ensure that the supplier gets you the same mix each time.
Bill

Parts,

First things first. As to the "stirring" the pot, I learned that from Moosie, LMAO

There are certain tests and standards that are used to ensure as close to the same material time after time. As we all know, nothing is exact. Standards and tests are in place to maintain quality throughout the process.

As to machining the bullets, again, parameters and tolerances are established and in place to ensure repeatablity. Any bullet not meeting the "standard" will be discarded.

These bullets are custom made to exacting specifications.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Thanks Don, for the reply.
Yes, that moosie is a bad influence, that is how I found this place when he came and sat by the fire one time, and stoked it up good.

Figured any site he had must be a good one.

Appreciate the time you took to respond, I just wish it wasn't so hard to get supplies up here in Canada and the higher cost is a pain.
Oh well, maybe I will get a chance to try some of your projectiles in the future.
Thanks again Don.
smile.gif

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back