Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New bow, try before you buy? not in the UK!

devon deer

Hi All,
After my failure to connect with an Elk in Montana in 2012 during the rifle season I am formulating a plan to return in 2014 or 2015 but this time during archery season (please don't tell my wife I am having these thoughts!) but there is a big hurdle.
My nearest archery shop don't have a range and will not let anybody 'try before they buy', as you may know hunting with a bow in the UK is banned so I am really limited, in fact my application to a local archery club has been ignored, I think they might have heard of me and my deer hunting business, and shock horror if I ever hunted with a bow after learning the skill with them.
So I am up against it, I want to purchase a bow but realise one should try it first, I have been pointed in the direction by a guy in the UK to a Hoyt 35'' Vector, I know nothing of archery at the moment so not sure if its a good bit of advice, he has said I can try his but he lives 200 miles away, and with gas at $11/gallon it could be an expensive trip.
I have read a little and looked at youtube and measured my draw length at 27.5 inches.
I am 5' 9'' and medium build if that helps with any advice.
I can take the exam which is recognised in MT to bow hunt but I will need to travel to Scotland, needs must I suppose!
Thanks chaps.
Richard

Hi All,
hunting with a bow in the UK is banned
Richard

WTF!

I love bow hunting, but I'm not expert on bows so can't give you much help there, just a sucky situation you're in. Heck I'd save my money and buy a plane ticket to NY(or another country closer I guess) and go to a local shop there if I had to. Getting a bow setup isn't cheap, it can easily be a $500-$1k plus mistake if you buy something sight unseen and it doesn't work for you.

Last edited:
Hey Richard...I will try to help you the best I can but given your situation this might be tough. First things first....do you know your draw lenght? This is importand in selecting a bow. If you dont know how to measure it see the attached link this will help a lot. This is step one
http://www.huntersfriend.com/bow_sizing_adjustment_guide.html
I believe totally in try before you but but I understand that you cannot. I bought a new bow 2 yrs ago and shot every top end bow on the market before I decided on one. Between myself and the other guys on here Im sure we can get you set up pretty good before your hunt. Ill keep checking on the post to see how your doing and offer any advice that I think might help.....:cool:

Step 1: Move to the States.

Step 2: Buy an Elite.

Step 3: Buy a big ol' pick 'em up truck and still pay less than $11/gallon.

Emrah

Richard, If ever a situation called for traditional archery gear,yours would be it.
There is a huge amount of hands on technical advice needed to get a new shooter ''up and running'' with a new compound bow. If this tech help is lacking in you area, I am afraid you will find archery frustrating at best and impossible at worst.

Good luck.

I've bought three used bows off of Archerytalk.com, only one of which I had shot. Newer bows are incredible and you would have no problem adjusting to one that you haven't shot. You can buy a great used bow online for under $300 and if you don't like it sell it and buy another.

I've bought three used bows off of Archerytalk.com, only one of which I had shot. Newer bows are incredible and you would have no problem adjusting to one that you haven't shot. You can buy a great used bow online for under $300 and if you don't like it sell it and buy another.

I actually don't agree w/this, I use to have a similar mindset but I too am in the market for a new bow although not in a hurry since my current bow will work fine for this season. Over the weekend I tried the Mission Ballistic and the Hoyt Charger at a local shop. At the same weight/dl the Charger felt a lot better to me pulling back, I was actually surprised how much easier to me it was to pull back. Someone else might have the opposite thought and favor the Ballistic though. I do agree that performance wise any bow these days will work and you don't have to spend $900+ on a bare bow to get awesome performance.

Devon, is it against the law to shoot a bow on your own property? Given a safe direction of course, don't you have enough space?

There's plenty of reading material available. Learning the technical aspects of modern archery isn't that difficult.

Hi All,
After my failure to connect with an Elk in Montana in 2012 during the rifle season I am formulating a plan to return in 2014 or 2015 but this time during archery season (please don't tell my wife I am having these thoughts!) but there is a big hurdle.
My nearest archery shop don't have a range and will not let anybody 'try before they buy', as you may know hunting with a bow in the UK is banned so I am really limited, in fact my application to a local archery club has been ignored, I think they might have heard of me and my deer hunting business, and shock horror if I ever hunted with a bow after learning the skill with them.
So I am up against it, I want to purchase a bow but realise one should try it first, I have been pointed in the direction by a guy in the UK to a Hoyt 35'' Vector, I know nothing of archery at the moment so not sure if its a good bit of advice, he has said I can try his but he lives 200 miles away, and with gas at $11/gallon it could be an expensive trip.
I have read a little and looked at youtube and measured my draw length at 27.5 inches.
I am 5' 9'' and medium build if that helps with any advice.
I can take the exam which is recognised in MT to bow hunt but I will need to travel to Scotland, needs must I suppose!
Thanks chaps.
Richard

Jesus wept.

First things first....do you know your draw lenght? Between myself and the other guys on here Im sure we can get you set up pretty good before your hunt. Ill keep checking on the post to see how your doing and offer any advice that I think might help.....:cool:
Its 27.5'', advice on here has always been excellent, but this might be a step too far.

Devon, is it against the law to shoot a bow on your own property? Given a safe direction of course, don't you have enough space?

There's plenty of reading material available. Learning the technical aspects of modern archery isn't that difficult.
Like most things it appears simple until you try it, I never knew there was so much too archery, how wrong was I! Its a bit like reloading, the basics are ok but then once you scratch the surface....
BTW, it isn't illegal to use a bow on targets, the local club does target and what they call field archery, creeping around the woods and shooting at life like deer targets,but my garden is too small, I might shoot someone walking their dog the other side of my hedge!
Cheers
Richard

Does the local shop tech on the bows for you or do they just sell the stuff and you have to figure it out. If the later is the case, as suggested I would look at a recurve. While proper setup is nice, you would be able to shoot and have fun. Don't get any ideas that traditional is easy, is way harder then a compound to get accurate. A compound will cost more and requires more fitting to you. With all the DIY videos available online you could muscle through setting one up but you will lack equipment, a press, do to certain things. Stand against a wall with your back to it. Get your wing span palms out and devise that by 2.5, this is your starting point for draw length. A guy that is 5'10 or 70 inches will have a similar wing span. 70/2.5 = 28. As every bow is different, your range is 27.5 to 28 depending on setup and tune. Skew to the short side for better shooting form. You don't need a 70# bow, 60 will do everything you need. Most prefer the 70. If you can get someone to press your bow and time cams, look at solo cam bows. Lower cam does all the work, top cam is a round wheel or essentially just a pulley. They still need timing for max performance but not as much as others as two don't have to work together in time. Not being able to shoot is a problem, buy a quality bow and trust in it. It may not be the best for you but you can rest assure you will likely be the weak link. You don't need to spend a grand on a bow, remember accessories will cost a two hundred plus easy. I would sell you a pse main line bow; a brute or sinister. If possible the package to make things simple for you. They sell for 400 and 500 respectively in the states. Good bows without spending a pile. They will do everything you need and more, upgrade when you are a better shooter.

Its 27.5'', advice on here has always been excellent, but this might be a step too far.

Like most things it appears simple until you try it, I never knew there was so much too archery, how wrong was I! Its a bit like reloading, the basics are ok but then once you scratch the surface....BTW, it isn't illegal to use a bow on targets, the local club does target and what they call field archery, creeping around the woods and shooting at life like deer targets,but my garden is too small, I might shoot someone walking their dog the other side of my hedge!
Cheers
Richard
Re: the part I bolded. That is a great analogy, but it also works both ways for both hobbies. One doesn't have to "geek out" on everything to have a good and working setup. While I agree that shooting before you buy is a best case scenario, I'd be surprised if any newer compound bow that fits you won't give you the good enough results. One can make this more complicated that it really is.

In your situation, I'd try to find a local shop that can get you set-up and/or tune your bow for you. If that is not possible in your area, a credit card and some homework can get you the tools/info you need to do it in your kitchen.

Devon - once you have the bow setup well and are ready to plan your return visit talk to me about when/where. I think we can come up with some really good stuff!
Will do, thanks!

Re: the part I bolded. That is a great analogy, but it also works both ways for both hobbies. One doesn't have to "geek out" on everything to have a good and working setup. While I agree that shooting before you buy is a best case scenario, I'd be surprised if any newer compound bow that fits you won't give you the good enough results. One can make this more complicated that it really is.

In your situation, I'd try to find a local shop that can get you set-up and/or tune your bow for you. If that is not possible in your area, a credit card and some homework can get you the tools/info you need to do it in your kitchen.
The local club got in touch but only offered tuition with a recurve, they said I would need 'special' training after the course before I use a compound, sounds like a money making exercise to me.

A shooting friend who lives a lot closer has offered to let me try his compound bow out once our busy time on the roe bucks has finished.

Cheers

Richard

Wow, I am sure GB has its up side but it sounds like its time to move.
I think you first need to find a good place where you can shoot regularly. Next I think you should buy a good mid level package bow with a solo cam. Third I would buy a bow press and do a lot of reading, become your own "pro shop". It seems overwhelming at first but with the INTERNET you will figure it out rather quickly.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back