New backpack hunter

RTaylor

Hello everybody! I'm excited to announce that I will be traveling to Colorado to backpack hunt for DIY elk for my first time with my Dad. This has been a life long dream that I can remember since I was a kid, and now its happening. I live in Texas and have hunted my whole life (Texas style - stand hunting primarily) on private and some public property. Hope were successful and can't wait to share this adventure. RT

Welcome to HuntTalk

Make a plan to understand the winds of Colorado. Prevailing winds mean a lot less in the mountains than they do in Texas. You can't fool an elks nose with sprays, clothing or scent wafers.

Hello everybody! I'm excited to announce that I will be traveling to Colorado to backpack hunt for DIY elk for my first time with my Dad. This has been a life long dream that I can remember since I was a kid, and now its happening. I live in Texas and have hunted my whole life (Texas style - stand hunting primarily) on private and some public property. Hope were successful and can't wait to share this adventure. RT

That's awesome! I have always dreamed about going on a big hunt with my dad! We keep trying to plan something, but something always comes up and plans fall through. Hopefully soon though. Good Luck and enjoy the time with your Dad!!

Hey RT! TX her as well (DFW). I went for my first time last archery elk season in Colorado. Hunted for 8 days; wasn’t successful but was on elk twice. Learned a lot. If you have any questions please ask away. I’m planning on going again next fall. Not sure if I’m going to archery or rifle yet but definitely going elk hunting in Colorado again. Do you have to right gear and are both you and your Dad in hiking shape? The mountains are completely different than this TX flat lander is used too. You don’t have to be overly fit but have an idea that the only blisters I got were on my toes from climbing and descending steep angles. The weather can be unforgiving as well. 10k feet is cold at night as well camping. Lots to consider but can be a ton of fun. Let me know 👍🏻 Merry Christmas!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back