Never bone out shoulder again

Tried a new recipe today and it turned out amazing. Take a whole deer or antelope shoulder and season however you’d like. Throw it on smoker at 200 degrees for 2.5-3 hours. Put it in an aluminum foil pan. Add a few sliced peppers and onions. Dump a can of chilis in sauce on top of the shoulder. Dump in a bottle of coke and cover the pan in tin foil and put back on the smoker at 300 degrees for another 3 hours. Pull off and the meat will fall off the bone. Shred it and put it on taco shells. I will never bone out another shoulder on a deer or antelope again.
View attachment 117160
View attachment 117161
View attachment 117162
View attachment 117163
View attachment 117164
The front shoulder off a whitetail is the second best piece of meat off a deer and some people throw them away.

Has anyone attempted this with a bone in bear shoulder? Can't find any posts in the thread with bear. I have a frozen bone in shoulder from a fall bear I'd like to try with, but want to be sure it will get up to proper temp for Trich. and that the fat wont impact the final product. There is a good layer of fat on the shoulder, wondering if I should try to remove most of it before starting the smoking process.

Thanks for any tips/advice from those who may have tried this with bear.

Has anyone attempted this with a bone in bear shoulder? Can't find any posts in the thread with bear. I have a frozen bone in shoulder from a fall bear I'd like to try with, but want to be sure it will get up to proper temp for Trich. and that the fat wont impact the final product. There is a good layer of fat on the shoulder, wondering if I should try to remove most of it before starting the smoking process.

Thanks for any tips/advice from those who may have tried this with bear.
When I do low & slow, I find it is not hard to get something like spare ribs up to 190°F without it drying out.
Leave all the fat on it. Save those drippings

Finally got around to doing this. I had an antelope shoulder cut from the shank to the blade. Painted it with mustard then put on a 50/50 rub of taco & carne asada seasoning. 1.5 hour in the smoker then into a roaster with red & green bell pepper, onion and root beer then covered. Into the oven for 3hrs @275 then 2.5 hours @ 300. Could have pulled it at 2 hours I think. The leg muscles didn't shred easy but it didn't matter. Chunked it up and it was great in tortillas with the peppers and onions. (y) from the wife.
And a can of Rotel, that really makes it come together

Last edited:
Finally got around to doing this. I had an antelope shoulder cut from the shank to the blade. Painted it with mustard then put on a 50/50 rub of taco & carne asada seasoning. 1.5 hour in the smoker then into a roaster with red & green bell pepper, onion and root beer then covered. Into the oven for 3hrs @275 then 2.5 hours @ 300. Could have pulled it at 2 hours I think. The leg muscles didn't shred easy but it didn't matter. Chunked it up and it was great in tortillas with the peppers and onions. (y) from the wife.
I always use coke I wonder of the root beer would be even better?

Well that looked really good! Over in Germany we used to buy front quarter's off hog's to make schnitzels with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back