Never bone out shoulder again

Tried a new recipe today and it turned out amazing. Take a whole deer or antelope shoulder and season however you’d like. Throw it on smoker at 200 degrees for 2.5-3 hours. Put it in an aluminum foil pan. Add a few sliced peppers and onions. Dump a can of chilis in sauce on top of the shoulder. Dump in a bottle of coke and cover the pan in tin foil and put back on the smoker at 300 degrees for another 3 hours. Pull off and the meat will fall off the bone. Shred it and put it on taco shells. I will never bone out another shoulder on a deer or antelope again.
View attachment 117160
View attachment 117161
View attachment 117162
View attachment 117163
View attachment 117164
Wow!

Tried a new recipe today and it turned out amazing. Take a whole deer or antelope shoulder and season however you’d like. Throw it on smoker at 200 degrees for 2.5-3 hours. Put it in an aluminum foil pan. Add a few sliced peppers and onions. Dump a can of chilis in sauce on top of the shoulder. Dump in a bottle of coke and cover the pan in tin foil and put back on the smoker at 300 degrees for another 3 hours. Pull off and the meat will fall off the bone. Shred it and put it on taco shells. I will never bone out another shoulder on a deer or antelope again.
View attachment 117160
View attachment 117161
View attachment 117162
View attachment 117163
View attachment 117164
It wasn’t too gamey?

Soooo many cuts available in venison than to just grind it.

I’m looking for a slicer to cut the full rounds thin for jerky and then freeze in 1 1/2 lb packages.

Take out and marinade then smoke as you want.

Get some beef or pork lard,some cuts and dry it. To the point it crumbles on you.

Pound it to a pulp with some dried fruits, add back in some lard…

Pemmican…

Finally did it. You cannot screw this up (and I tried). 1st I put in on the grill, low, basted in oil and covered in Costco “Spice Islands” taco seasoning. Tried to smoke some wood but then my propane ran out after less than an hour. Moved inside to a covered roasting pan with crushed tomatoes, garbanzos, garlic, onion, some capers (wife had in the fridge so why not?🤷🏻‍♂️) and some “sofrito” base I had picked up on the recommendation of coworker Luis. Into the oven at 300 for 5 hours. At even 3 hrs, I couldnt resist testing a little bit since it smelled so good. OMG, delicious, and my new favorite thing. Let it go the distance to get fully shreddable of course…And next time I just gotta make sure I have some other ingredients (peppers, salsa, coke or mexican beer, etc) to test with. Awesome awesome dinner!

We did this for lunch today. I browned 2 shoulders in a skillet last night, then added 1/2 onion and deglazed the pan with white wine. Put all that in a roaster with a can of tomato sauce, some minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, couple bullion cubes, and then water 3/4 to the top of the meat. Left it in the oven at 225 all night. Pulled the meat this morning and put it back into the juice, and then into the oven at 170.

When we got home I strained the meat out of the juice, sautéed the meat a bit, and then reduced some of the juice on the stove and added some cornstarch to thicken. We ate it as tacos with corn tortillas. The sauce was just thick enough to not run out of the tortilla. It was tasty!

View attachment 117160
View attachment 117161
View attachment 117162
View attachment 117163
View attachment 117164
True, and inject with bacon fat before hand if you want it to taste like pulled pork.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back