Nevada cow elk 71-77,79

Elkdog

Hi, I drew a deer, cow combo for units 71-77' 79 this year, 2nd season. I have been scouting twice and talked to the biologist for the area a couple of times. Amazing country. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the area. I have never hunted here. I also have never posted anything on a forum so hopefully I do this right. Thank you!

I think you could find both your deer and elk anywhere near the Jarbidge wilderness. It's some pretty steep country though. Farther to the west the area around the Bruneau river is more rolling sage hills
and there are some pretty nice deer, it's amazing how well they hide in the open sage. I know there
are elk there during the rut so there are sure to be some there in late Oct.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thank you. It is steep, that's for sure! The area along the Bruneau river from Charleston to Wickiup Creek was pretty steep too, the rolling hills must have grown, lol. Maybe toward Idaho from where we were.

Yeah closer to idaho it opens up some more. If you get up over the top and head into the wilderness you should find what you're looking for.

Yeah closer to idaho it opens up some more. If you get up over the top and head into the wilderness you should find what you're looking for.
Yes that's right the north end towards the Idaho border does flatten out pretty good.
Good luck.

Thanks. This is going to be the longest week of my life. I can't wait! The Slide Creek area looked pretty good. Lots of aspen and on the wilderness border. I saw elk about a mile into the wilderness from Draw Creek, but not sure I'm man enough to pack one out of there. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Just finished a mule deer hunt in 71. Have info on elk herd location on the East side of the Jarbridge if you are interested.

Absolutely! I scouted the East side in July so got somewhat familiar with the area. Thanks

Will get a map out tonight and see we can coordinate a grid coordinate. Do you have a BLM map of the Jarbridge?

Thank you. I have a USGS, Mountain Cty/ Jarbidge Ranger District and Gazetteer. Along with a totally useless Forest Service Motor Use map ( and I'm pretty good with maps. dumbest one I've ever tried to use.) I'm sure I can figure it out with some coordinates.

Last edited:
There is a BLM office in Elko on Idaho Street where you can pick up a BLM map of the Jarbrige for $4.00.

Nevada Atlas and Gazetteer page 24 square D-2 between Sun and Camp creek is where we camped. You should be able to see the road that get close to the Jarbridge boundry. We were just South of fish icon you will see on that map. On the BLM map sector T 44 N R 59 E we camped in block 13 The ridge where the herd was runs South West to North East in blocks 11 and 14.

Be up there before daylight and you should have no problem finding them. We got home the 7th of October so unless some major weather or huunt pressure hit that area you should have a good chance. Most of the elk hunters in the area when we told them where the elk were just kept driving their quads down the road.

Thank you, I know exactly where you were. I drove that road scouting in July. Hiked up Camp Creek and also into Sun Creek from the Wildcat Guard Station. Aren't the quad riders amazing. Drive around all day and swear there are no animals around when the elk and deer are calmly grazing 100 yards off the road. Oh well, better for us people that actually like to hunt! Did you get your deer?

I did. Small 3x2. Made the typical mistake of not taking the time to look around and see if there were other deer with him. I even remember telling myself before the hunt to be sure and look around if you see one there may be more. Made the shot after a 30 foot low crawl to the edge of the ravine. Stood up to celebrate and a larger 4x4 went tearing out of the ravine. DAMN IT!!!! LOL! Still a great hunt and good memories.

DAMN IT is right. LOL. At least you got meat is how I look at it but I have done that myself. Thanks for the reminder too. I also have a deer tag and will have to remember that myself!

If you go up on th e ridge on that East side, I shot my deer on the southeast side of the road. There are at least 3 or 4 bucks roaming in those shallow ravines in that area. I would expect them to be closer to the Southern creek as there are the beaver ponds in there for them to get water.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Cool, thanks. I saw those ponds. I definitely will let you know. I'm leaving after work tonight to go get camp set up and scout around some more. This is gonna be FUN!

I just got there this morning. My Mom, sister and brother in law decided at the last minute to come down from .wyoming and see me. We met in Jarbidge so hunted Copper Mtn 1st day. Saw elk but wow they were a ways up there. Then headed for Camp Crek but stopped 2 days at Slide Creek. Lots of elk had been in there 1st season, but only deer now. A couple of really nice bucks but could never get a shot, only had a chance at a couple small ones which I passed. Now am headed to Winnemucca for my daughters soccer tournament and then back. I only had time for a quick hunt this afternoon. Question, did you see the elk on the ridge above the road. Rocky, with mahogany and a patch of fir right at top or the big ridge behind that? I'm guessing the big ridge but thought I'd ask if you see this before I head back. Ugh, it was 71 today there? Great elk hunting weather.....not. Thanks

Last time I was on top of Copper mtn there were elk tracks and dropping all over and yes it is quite a hike up to the top. There are some big draws of dark timber on the west side of copper mtn that they use as a bedding area. You would think that giant draw of quakies down in the bottom between copper mountain and tha main road headed north towards jarbidge would have some animals in it.
Somometimes you have to work extra hard even for a cow.

I guys, sorry I did not finish this. I meant to when I got back. No elk, we had nice snow and only saw very few tracks, singles mostly so probably Bulls. They disappeared! I'm guessing they went down into those draws toward the Bruneau river. I was all over Copper Mtn but hunting alone, didn't drop off into those. Long steep trek back up. But I had a great time and have my deer so all is good. Thank you very much for the advice!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back